Gardiner Expressway Weekend Closure
Please be advised that construction on the Gardiner Expressway Bridge Rehabilitation; Humber River to Park Lawn Road, will commence this weekend on April 26, 2014.
The project will involve repairs to the bridge structures as well as the median and retaining walls located within the bridge limits. The work will be done in four stages. During each stage of construction one eastbound lane of the Expressway will be closed. All westbound lanes will remain open. One lane of the west bound off-ramp to Lakeshore will be temporarily closed for approximately 20 weeks to rehabilitate the underside of the off-ramp structure. In addition, periodic night time lane closures may be required.
Residents will be notified if there are any significant changes to the construction schedule or work to be undertaken.
Work will typically take place from 7:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. from Monday to Saturday, with work after hours and on Sundays as required.
As with all construction projects, there will be noise and temporary inconveniences. In order to complete the work effectively and in a safe manner, some pedestrian and traffic restrictions will be necessary. These include:
- Vehicle and pedestrian traffic will be restricted according to construction details listed above.
- Advance traffic warning signs will be posted in the area to advise the public of traffic restrictions.
- The 508 – Lakeshore and 501- Queen TTC streetcar services will be affected as a result of the construction. Route diversions for these two services are scheduled in the spring and fall to permit completion of work within the 'Humber Loop' structure. Details on these diversions will be made available on the TTC website (www.ttc.ca) ' Service Advisories', or by calling 416-393-4636 (toll free: 1-866-642-9882).
- Due to safety concerns, access through the 'Humber Loop' tunnel will be closed to pedestrians on:
- April 28 to May 2 from 10 pm to 5:30 am
- September 8 to October 11 during all hours
Further notification will be provided should there be any changes to these dates.
Every effort will be made to reduce the inconvenience. The City appreciates your understanding and co-operation.
The expected completion date of this project is December 31, 2014.