Welcome to 2020 from the PTA Board
As students and families get back to their post-holiday routines, we want to thank you for your support and for kindly donating so much of your time and energy to keep the VES community strong. We truly appreciate you and wish you a happy, healthy 2020. We have several exciting events and programs on tap for winter and spring. Stay tuned for details in the next few days on after-school program registration, a school-wide food drive, and more.
Student Holidays & Teacher Workdays
- January 2oth: No school, MLK Jr. Birthday
- January 27th-28th: No school, student holiday
- February 17th: No school, Presidents' Day
- March 3rd: No school, student holiday
The annual VES Read-A-Thon runs from February 10th to March 8th! Students from all grades will compete to win best readers in multiple categories. Students are encouraged to read every night and record their minutes on the bookmarks passed out by teachers; extra bookmarks are available on the PTA website. Students turn in their bookmarks every Monday morning and we will count up the minutes!
Classes will compete for top class by grade (weekly winner), and the whole school will work to reach our goal of 297,420 minutes read in the 4 weeks of Read-A-Thon. If we reach our school goal, Mr. Carmichael will have a surprise for the students. Also, the class that wins the "grand prize" with the highest percentage of cumulative minutes will win a pizza and ice cream party to celebrate.
We will have morning reading time in the library (8:00 a.m. to 8:35 a.m.) throughout the program, and we need volunteers to help monitor the library. Keep your eyes peeled for a SignUpGenius. If there is a 2-hour delay, volunteers should still show up from 10:00-10:35 a.m. to monitor the library.
We're looking forward to another successful year with this program and thank our parents in advance for your help in encouraging your kids to read! Please contact Shannon Cilman
with any questions.
Dining for Dollars at Chipotle on February 11th
Thanks to all who participated in Dining for Dollars at Mod Pizza! We'll see you on February 11th any time between 4:00-8:00 p.m. for the next Dining for Dollars at Chipotle. Remember to show the Chipotle
flyer to the cashier to help raise money for our school!
Muffins with Mom and Donuts with Dad
Save the date for our upcoming pastries with parents/special persons events. Students are welcome to bring any special adult in their life — parent, grandparent, aunt, uncle, babysitter, etc. Muffins With Mom will be held Thursday, February 15th and Donuts With Dad on Thursday, March 12th. Both will run from 7:20 — 8:20 a.m. in the VES Cafeteria. Please park in the Patrick Henry Library parking lot behind VES and enter the VES Cafeteria using the back entrance at Door #5.
A family favorite returns! VES Winter bingo and the 50/50 Raffle will be held on February 21th from 6:00 to 8:00 p.m. Bingo is $6 per player or $22 for a family pack (up to 6 players). The 50/50 Raffle is $6 per ticket or $20 for a pack of 5 tickets. Stay tuned - registration will open in early February online
. Seats are limited and this event frequently sells out!
Many thanks to all the parents who have volunteered to fill crucial positions. We appreciate your time and help! We still
have one volunteer spot still open. Please contact PTA Co-Presidents Heather Kenney and Stefanie Petrucelli for more
info or to volunteer for any of the positions below.
Viking Voice Input
- 5K/Fun Run Sponsorship Chair: Recruit (the PTA will help!) and organize the sponsorship team in order to contact previous and new potential sponsors to enlist support for the springtime 5K, as well as obtain sponsor logos.
- Science Olympiad: We're looking for a chair to lead this STEM-focused National Competition. VES participates with other area schools in a tournament. Students study different areas of STEM in preparation and then respond to challenges at the tournament. Teams meet and prep during Winter-Spring.
- Science Extravaganza Volunteers: Assist the current chair and promote the extravaganza with flyers; set up registration (SignUpGenius or other); coordinate time/space with school; and establish guidelines for students. The Science Extravaganza will take place the same evening as VES Curriculum Night on Thursday, March 5, 2020.
Have input for the Viking Voice? E-mail your text to the Viking Voice editor
(do not reply to this e-mail). The Viking Voice is sent every two weeks during the school year.