There are three very important secrets to success that most people overlook or don’t even think about. In your quest to achieve your dreams, you’re going to need a little extra help beyond hard work. I like to refer to these as the behind-the-scenes secrets to success.
1. Passion. To succeed at anything, you need to have passion. I’ve referred to this in the past as the “why” behind what you do. Without a deep-rooted and internal conviction for something, there is simply no way to succeed. On those days when everything goes wrong and you think you’ll never make it, your passion will keep you going.
2. Company. Almost nobody achieves success all by themselves. Along the way they have friends, family, mentors, and connections who help them to achieve their goals. One of the longest-running psychological studies to date -- the Harvard Grant Study, dating back to the late 1930s – found that “like food and air, we seem to need social relationships to thrive.” (Diener, E & Biswas-Diener, R (2008) Happiness: Unlocking the Mysteries of Psychological Wealth, Malden MA: Wiley -Blackwell, at 66. Huffington Post Article.).
When the going gets tough, holding on to your social support system (family, friends, colleagues) will help you be more successful.
3. Red wine. Because let’s face it, everything is better with a little wine! But seriously: Reward yourself after a long and difficult day or week and make sure you take time to spoil yourself. Depriving yourself of the things that make you feel alive and special is a surefire recipe for failure.
1. What are you truly passionate about? What makes you so excited that you can do it for hours on end without it draining you?
2. When was the last time you invested some quality time in a colleague, friend, or your family? When you need them, do you reach out? Establish a regular meet-up and make it part of your work day.
3. How do you reward yourself when you’ve accomplished something big or perhaps had a bad day? Make sure you do it at least once a week.
Don’t forget: Living a balanced and happy life requires investment in more than just one dimension of your life.
Share your success tips with us in the comments here.
Come find your path to a balanced and purposeful life in my Pilates Pamper Workshop: Sunday Oct 19th @ 1:15 - 4:30pm. Register now & read more here.