Copy
News • Blogs • Videos • Events - nicotinepolicy.net
View this email in your browser
Share
Tweet
Share
+1
Forward to Friend
NSP
Nicotine Science and Policy - Daily Digest - Fri, 21 August 2015

HIGHLIGHTS

Most popular in the news last week:

  1. E-cigarettes – answering the burning questions – read more…
  2. Promote e-cigarettes over harmful tobacco smoking, say experts – read more…
  3. Study claims smokers have more success quitting with e-cigarettes – read more…

In Wales, E-cigs are treated like sticks of poison [...]

In England, public health bosses are considering an expert report arguing that e-cigarettes should be prescribed on the NHS as they help smokers quit smoking cigarettes, which they say are far more dangerous. In Wales, the Welsh Government is pressing ahead with its plans to treat the use of e-cigs in exactly the same way as tobacco and ban the use of them in public places.

2015-08-21
walesonline.co.uk

Alaska health survey finds e-cigarette use quadrupled from 2010 to 2013

E-cigarette use among adults in Alaska is on the rise as tobacco use is falling, according to the state Department of Health and Social Services. An Alaska Division of Epidemiology bulletin released Thursday said e-cigarette use among Alaska adults rose from 1 percent in 2010 to 4 percent in 2013, the latest data available.

2015-08-21
adn.com

A touch of the vapers: will e-cigarettes ever look cool on screen?

For that to happen you would imagine that television and film will need to play a part. Decades of movies and TV shows did an unprecedented PR job on cigarettes, imprinting pop culture with the enduring perception that smoking is cool, from glamorous femme fatales in hazy noirs to diehard heroes with terrorists to foil.

2015-08-21
theguardian.com

E-cigarettes on the NHS? Not so fast

Vapers shouldn’t hold their breath. Today’s review of the evidence on e-cigarettes puts NHS prescription on the agenda, but it’s a long way off yet, if it happens at all. [...] As that fairly passive statement implies, Public Health England doesn’t decide what’s available on the NHS. To be prescribed as a medical treatment, e-cigarettes would need to be licensed by the Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA).

2015-08-21
fullfact.org

Are e-cigarettes a gateway to smoking in 14-year-olds? New US data

Electronic (e-)cigarettes are attracting massive interest for their potential in helping smokers quit, to reduce harm in those who switch from cigarettes or cut down, and in reducing the uptake of smoking in teenagers, where the argument runs that they would be best to vape instead of smoking. Not to mention a third possibility: that they do neither.

2015-08-21
theconversation.com

TOM UTLEY: If you can afford fags, you can afford e-cigarettes. [...]

Understandably, the young do not regard vaping as cool, thinking it looks silly to suck on what looks like a toy. Meanwhile, surveys have found that only 0.4 per cent of vapers were previously non-smokers, while the other 99.6 per cent are smokers trying to give up. So it is that, in mere months, vaping has gone from being condemned as a mortal danger to being hailed as one of the great life-savers of our age; [...]

2015-08-21
dailymail.co.uk

More News at NSP. . .
Copyright © 2015 Nicotine Science and Policy, All rights reserved.


unsubscribe from this list    update subscription preferences 

Email Marketing Powered by Mailchimp