NEWS FROM OUR TEAM
From mental health to micropub….
After 5 years as PAVO’s County Mental Health Development Officer Laura Gallagher (L in photo) left her role in late July 2014 to take on a new challenge in Powys. Laura will be much missed by everyone at PAVO, and particularly the mental health team, for whom she has been a passionate, hard-working and inspirational leader. However, she has not gone far, and we’ll probably be dropping in to see her soon at the new micropub she is opening in Llandrindod Wells (watch this space for more information). We wish her all the best with her new venture!
Laura said: “I am very grateful to everyone at PAVO for their help and support over the last few years. The skill, knowledge, motivation and passion contained in this organisation really is amazing. Powys is, I am sure, a better place to live because of their efforts. I am also grateful for the trust and appreciation that colleagues have shown to me. My new challenge means that I will no longer be formally working in mental health, but I do hope my micropub will offer a listening ear, a sense of belonging, conversation and laughter. However, my motivation to see the mainstream ideas underpinning our understanding of mental health and our services change, is as strong as ever. I’ll be keeping in touch via twitter @powysmh.”
PAVO colleague Jane Cooke (R in photo) will be the Interim Mental Health Team Manager. Jane joined PAVO in 2012 as the DIY Futures Project Manager, and when the lottery funded project ended earlier this year took on a new role as Mental Health Project Officer. Jane is based at PAVO’s Ddole Road offices in Llandrindod Wells, and can be contacted by email: email@example.com and phone: 01597 822191.
You can find out more about other members of PAVO’s mental health team, and how to contact them, here. You can also call 01686 628300 or 01597 822191 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Not sure where to find the information you are looking for about services, help, support and activities?
Want to know more about voluntary organisations across Powys? Click here
@PAVOMH What do you think we should be tweeting about? Let us know. Best of all, tweet us about it! This month in twitter:
Freda Lacey, the Patients' Council
Facilitator, recently attended her 8th Patients' Council meeting with volunteers Rhydian Parry
and Kelvin Jones
. Freda has written an update detailing some of the discussion taking place at the meetings on Felindre Ward, Bronllys Hospital. You can read more here
You can get involved in the Powys Stronger in Partnership Participation Network
and help shape mental health services for the better across Powys. For more infomation contact: Freda.email@example.com
(01597 822191) or come along to one of our local meetings:
Thurs 18 Sept Welshpool.
Light The Way. Ponthafren Association Outreach Centre. 2 - 3.30 pm.
Wed 1 Oct Brecon.
Brecon & District Mind. 2 - 4 pm.
Wed 8 Oct Llandrindod Wells.
Venue TBC. 2 - 4 pm.
Photo shows Glynis Luke (L) and Freda Lacey (R) arriving for the Ystradgynlais Stronger in Partnership meeting which took place on 28 July at the Ystradgynlais Mind offices (formerly the Healthy Living Centre).
Featured participation opportunities this month:
- Vacancies on the National Forum for Service Users & Carers - help shape future mental health services. Closing date 14 August 2014. More here.
- Have your say about mental health services - telephone interviews are being organised to talk to people about their experiences of secondary mental health services since the introduction of the Mental Health (Wales) Measure. More here.
- Safe Nurse Staffing Levels (Wales) Bill - find out more about Welsh Assembly Minister Kirsty Morgan's draft Bill here. Deadline for responses: 12 September 2014.
More about these and other opportunities on our team's Get Involved
NEWS, EVENTS & TRAINING
Want to find out the current news and what's on? Just click on our website links for the latest:
Featured events this month
- For events in August click here.
- For events in September click here.
- For the latest news round up click here.
- 21 August, Newtown - Future Fit: Health Services for Powys delivered in Shropshire. More here.
- 25 August, Brecon - new Bipolar Support group opening. More here.
For more information about voluntary sector services, activities and opportunities in your area either get in touch with us or visit our local links page here
Featured news this month:
- #Do SomethingBrilliant - announce a Change Makers competition. Do you have an innovative idea that could make a big impact in the community where you live? More here.
JOIN THE DEBATE - POWYS MENTAL HEALTH BLOG
Here’s what we’ve been posting about recently:
Introducing Mastermind - computerised CBT
- find out more about "Beating the Blues" Cognitive Behavioural Therapy being piloted in Powys soon.
Volunteering while getting benefits
- Jan Rogers writes a moving blog about the values of volunteering at Ponthafren Association in Newtown.
Tea-on-Top: with Brecon & District Mind
- an age-old tradition which has been brought back to life celebrates its 5th birthday this year.
If you would like to write more about your experiences and views, please get in touch
. We welcome guest posts from people who live and work in Powys – you can write anonymously if you wish.
Feedback about the ebulletin
Featured job vacancies this month:
- Mental Health Act Manager Panel Members - Welshpool. £60 a session. More here.
- Primary Mental Health Specialist (Children & Adolescent Mental Health Team) South & Mid Powys. Closing date 18 August 2014. More here.
- Chair of Powys teaching Health Board. Closing date 21 August. More here.
For information about job vacancies across Powys visit PAVO's website here.
Funding News and Advice. PAVO Accredited Funding Services "Know how, know who, know when". More information here.
Find Services In Your Community. Powys Info-Engine - local services at your fingertips. Just click here to start searching. If your group or organisation is not yet registered go to www.info-engine.org.uk and add your details. Registration is free, secure, and simple to do. For more information or for help with registering contact Claire Powell PAVO on 01597 822191 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline for September 2014 Powys Mental Health E-Bulletin.
Next e-bulletin is due for circulation week commencing Monday 1 September 2014. Please send any items for inclusion by 9am on Tuesday 26 August 2014 to email@example.com
is also much appreciated please take 2 minutes to tell us!
Powys Association of Voluntary Organisations/Cwmdeithas Mudiadau Gwirfoddol Powys
Registered Charity No/Rhif Elusen Gofrstredig 1069557
A Company limited by guarantee 3522144 Registered in Wales
Cwmni Cyfyngedig drwy warant 3522144 Wedi ei gofrestru yng Nghymru