Pete Lathbury, who as Head of Third Sector Support at PAVO oversees the work of the mental health team, joined us for a meeting at Plas Dolerw recently.
To contact the team you can call 01686 628300 or 01597 822191 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
We are keen to respond to any enquiries about any aspect of mental health and dementia in Powys - just get in touch.
We would like to thank Jan Jones,
a PAVO colleague working in the Community Transport team, who is currently working a few extra hours a week to help out with website updates for us. Let us know
if you have activities and/or information we can promote via our website
Not sure where to find the information you are looking for about services, help, support and activities?
Want to know more about voluntary organisations across Powys? Click here
Several of the team and other PAVO colleagues met the Vice Chair of Powys teaching Health Board Councillor Melanie Davies
in late August.
Melanie joined the PtHB as Vice Chair in early June 2014
, after an earlier stint as a Powys County Council rep. Mental health is one of her areas of responsibility.
L-R: Trish Buchan (Health & Social Care Facilitator, PAVO & 3rd Sector organisation rep PtHB), Freda Lacey (Participation Officer, PAVO), Melanie Davies (Vice Chair PtHB & PCC councillor), Jackie Newey (Projects Officer, PAVO), Pete Lathbury (Head 3rd Sector Support, PAVO).
What do you think we should be tweeting about? Let us know. Best of all, tweet us about it! This month in twitter:
- September is World Alzheimer’s month. Why not help raise awareness & get involved in or take part in your local
- Please sign pledge if, like us,you believe everyone has the right to free advice:
- Creative Minds: Recovery and Beyond 2nd Annual Conference, 17 Oct 14 with via
- What do you think about research priorities in Wales? consultation out now
Freda Lacey (PAVO), along with Patients' Council
volunteers - Kelvin Mills, Rhydian Parry, Meriel Richards and Kate Van Den Ende, (individual representatives) attended the recent Patients' Council on 27 August 2014. The individual representatives
had asked to come along as observers and certainly valued the opportunity. We had a subsequent meeting with Andrew Hopkins, Directorate Manager, Aneurin Bevan Health Board (ABHB) to discuss some of the issues being raised and Andrew is keen to resolve these issues as soon as possible. A subsequent meeting is going to be held with senior managers in ABHB to prioritise how to resolve the issues being raised on a consistent basis, such as staffing levels, need for more activities and access to gym equipment and exercise. You can read the detailed notes from the Patients' Council meetings here
You can get involved in the Powys Stronger in Partnership Participation Network
and help shape mental health services for the better across Powys. For more infomation contact: email@example.com
(01597 822191) or come along to one of our local meetings:
Thurs 18 Sept Welshpool.
Light The Way. Ponthafren Association Outreach Centre. 2 - 3.30 pm.
Wed 1 Oct Brecon.
Brecon & District Mind. 2 - 4 pm.
Wed 8 Oct Llandrindod Wells.
Celfogwympas offices, Tremont Road, Llandrindod Wells, Powys LD1 5EB. 2 - 4 pm.
Featured participation opportunities this month:
- Mind Cymru peer support research - the charity is looking for information about peer support projects for adults in Wales experiencing any form of mental distress/ mental illness/ mental health problems. More here.
- Review of the Mental Health (Wales) Measure - feedback URGENTLY needed - have you - or someone you care for - been discharged from a Community Mental Health Team within the last 3 years and had an assessment within the last 2 years to re-enter secondary services (Part 3 of the Measure)? Have you – or someone you care for - had an Independent Mental Health Advocate whilst you/they were a voluntary patient in hospital within the last 2 years (Part 4 of the Measure)? If so, those reviewing the Measure would like to hear from you. More here under "Have your say about mental health services".
- Engagement session: 3 October 2014, Llandrindod Wells: Care Council for Wales revised Code of Conduct for social workers. 10am - 12 noon. More info from Mandy Williams at Participation Cymru, tel: 029 2043 1725.
More about these and other opportunities on our team's Get Involved
NEWS, EVENTS & TRAINING
Jackie met with colleagues from Powys teaching Health Board this month to find out more about The Mastermind Project - the computerised Cognitive Behavioural Therapy called "Beating the Blues" which is being rolled out across Powys later in 2014. More info here.
L - R: Tanya Summerfield (ICT Project Officer) and colleague Menna Reese from PtHB with Jackie.
The latest Powys Mental Health Alliance Headspace magazine is out now. You can read and download the magazine here.
Articles on eating disorders, dementia, addiction, depression, the latest PMHA Open Day, Bob the Dog & much, much more!
Dementia Friendly Brecon is made up of the whole community - shop assistants, public service workers, faith groups, businesses, police, fire and ambulance staff, bus drivers, school pupils, clubs and societies, and community leaders - people who are committed to working together and helping people with dementia to remain a part of Brecon and not become apart from it. Check out the new website here.
Training session - Mental Health/Capacity Act & Deprivation of Liberty Safeguarding (DoLS) - 22 September, Newtown. A PAVO and Montgomery Community Health Council session. Booking essential. More here.
The latest Powys Integrated training brochure is out now, September 2014 - March 2015, more here. Many courses are free for those involved in health and social care provision, whether staff or volunteers.
Want to find out more current news and what's on? Just click on our website links for the latest:
Featured events this month:
- For events in September click here.
- For events in October click here.
- For the latest news round up click here.
- 18 September - Powys Health Matters, Powys teaching Health Board conference looking at rural health issues. More here.
- 26 September - Creating narratives for the Recovery Movement: the Good, the True, the Beautiful. A conference in Leicester exploring how the recovery movement can contribute to public health. More here.
For more information about voluntary sector services, activities and opportunities in your area either get in touch with us or visit our local links page here
JOIN THE DEBATE - POWYS MENTAL HEALTH BLOG
Here’s what we’ve been posting about recently:
A visit from the Older People's Commissioner Office - find out how innovative projects in Powys help support older people.
Mental Health Act 1983 - Code of Practice: the Review (in England) - read how Ponthafren Association volunteer Jan Rogers has contributed to the review.
Unconventional Wisdom: Beyond Medical – the Debate continues (I hope…) – even whilst Laura Gallagher, (photo left, previously manager of our mental health team), is setting up her new micropub in Llandrindod Wells, she is keen to pursue the “beyond medical” debate! Take a look and see what she plans.
If you would like to write more about your experiences and views, please get in touch
. We welcome guest posts from people who live and work in Powys – you can write anonymously if you wish.
Feedback about the ebulletin
Featured job vacancies this month:
- Mid Powys Mind Recovery Support Worker vacancy. Closing date 17 September - more here.
- Crisis Resolution and Home Treatment Team Practitioner, Newtown. Closing date 12 September - more here.
For information about job vacancies across Powys visit PAVO's website here.
Funding News and Advice. PAVO Accredited Funding Services "Know how, know who, know when". More information here.
Find Services In Your Community. Powys Info-Engine - local services at your fingertips. Just click here to start searching. If your group or organisation is not yet registered go to www.info-engine.org.uk and add your details. Registration is free, secure, and simple to do. For more information or for help with registering contact Claire Powell PAVO on 01597 822191 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline for October 2014 Powys Mental Health E-Bulletin.
Next e-bulletin is due for circulation week commencing Monday 6 October 2014. Please send any items for inclusion by 9am on Monday 29 September 2014 to email@example.com
is also much appreciated please take 2 minutes to tell us!
Powys Association of Voluntary Organisations/Cwmdeithas Mudiadau Gwirfoddol Powys
Registered Charity No/Rhif Elusen Gofrstredig 1069557
A Company limited by guarantee 3522144 Registered in Wales
Cwmni Cyfyngedig drwy warant 3522144 Wedi ei gofrestru yng Nghymru