NEWS FROM OUR TEAM
Last month Jackie and Freda met with (L:R bottom row of photo) Tim Teeling of West Wales Action for Mental Health, and mental health colleagues from Gwent Association of Voluntary Organisations - Laura Morgan and Linda Williams. We shared information about our respective activities in the fields of providing a mental health information service and developing participation opportunities for people in contact with mental health services. Claire Powell, PAVO's Info Engine Officer and Third Sector Broker gave us all a short presentation on the latest developments around Info Engine.
Earlier in October Freda and Jackie enjoyed the opportunity to have a tour of Lighthouse Healthcare's Phoenix House Hospital in Welshpool - a 23 bed residential unit for men with complex mental health needs. Many thanks to manager Yvonne Williams and her colleagues for making us so welcome and showing us round the facility.
PAVO, as a partner on the Powys Mental Health Planning and Development Partnership, recently received a training update on "Working to become Dementia Friendly" provided by Inspector Brian Jones of Dyfed-Powys Police. Other organisations within Powys, including Powys County Council, also became dementia friendly in October, you can find out more here.
Our team is currently in discussion with Harold Proctor, the Powys teaching Health Board Dementia Lead, around developing participation opportunities in this area.
This month we have developed a new Counselling links page on our website. If you are looking for talking therapies of any sort, such as counselling or psychotherapy, then this is a good place to start. You can also read about a Powys resident's journey to a positive talking therapy here.
Unique opportunity for involvement - Powys Patients' Council
Do you have personal experience of being in an acute mental health unit or are you close to someone who has this experience? If so, a unique opportunity for involvement could be yours.
We are recruiting new volunteers to be involved in Powys Patients' Council. This project is funded by the Powys teaching Health Board, however it is independently managed by PAVO's Mental Health team. Benefits of volunteering with the project include receiving training in mental health awareness, listening skills, influencing senior executives and involves attending monthly visiting sessions. Transport, travel expenses and lunch are provided. You would be part of a group of people helping to resolve issues brought to us by patients on the ward. This plays a big part in making life better for people whilst they are in hospital. If this sounds like something you'd like to take part in, please contact Freda Lacey. Tel: 01597 822191, or email firstname.lastname@example.org
As a result of our invitation to open the “Wellness and Recovery Learning Centre”
(The Quiet Room) in Bronllys Hospital, Phil Bowen, High Sheriff of Powys, initiated a specific and regular drama activity for patients on the ward that is proving very popular. You can read more about the work of Patients' Council and issues that are being addressed currently here
Stronger in Partnership update
As we reported in last month's ebulletin, we had to postpone recent Stronger in Partnership (SiP)
meetings whilst we clarify details of the way forward with SiP with Powys teaching Health Board. This process is still ongoing. We hope to be able to reorganise these meetings in the near future. Please look out for more details in future editions of the ebulletin.
Cross-border health care discussion group
PAVO mental health team has facilitated several people to be involved in meeting members of the Welsh Affairs (Parliamentary) Committee to discuss cross-border healthcare issues
. Individual representatives and Freda will take part in the Committee’s discussion group event in Newtown on 24th November. We will discuss our experiences of using facilities across the border, meet other people using cross border services, medical professionals and others with an interest in this issue. If you would like us to raise anything on your behalf, please
, new Health and Social Care Facilitator (participation), as soon as possible, with your issues or questions.
Featured participation opportunities this month:
- Dementia Truth Inquiry Survey - the Mental Health Foundation is carrying out a major new inquiry to understand more about some of the most challenging and distressing symptoms of dementia. More here.
- Survey on experience with GPs - Do you live in Wales? Have you been to your local GP surgery to seek advice, treatment or support for mental health problems during the last 12 months? If so, complete this short survey from Gofal, and you could win a Kindle Fire!
- Welsh Government consultation: Inappropriate admissions guidance - This guidance has been developed to reduce the number of inappropriate
admissions of under 18s to adult mental health wards. More here.
- Carers' research project for social care staff (voluntary or paid) - a Bangor University research survey seeks views on information for carers, more here and the survey here.
More about these and other opportunities on our team's Get Involved
NEWS, EVENTS & TRAINING
Powys Mental Health Alliance's next Open Day is on Wednesday 26 November at the Royal British Legion Hall in Llandrindod Wells. All welcome. Jenna Markham from the National Centre for Mental Health will be one of the main speakers. More here.
The Social Care Institute for Excellence has produced a new video on Living with Dementia as part of its growing online library of dementia videos. You can access it here.
You can read SCIE's response to the 2014 Care Quality Commission review on the care people with dementia receive here.
Beat - the charity for people with eating disorders - is celebrating its 25th year anniversary throughout 2014. You can read more about activities in Wales, including self-help groups, on the Beat Cymru website here.
A new report from the Centre for Mental Health and London School of Economics highlights perinatal mental health costs - both emotionally and financially in England (but issues relevant also in Wales). More here.
Mindful Employer celebrated 10 years of Supporting Employers: Supporting Mental Wellbeing with a conference in Devon last month. You can read the presentations and a specially made film here. Here at PAVO we have been a Mindful Employer for the past 3 years.
Don't forget, Ponthafren Association will be on BBC TV's Glorious Gardens from Above soon! The episode they feature in will broadcast on Wednesday 12 November on BBC 1 at 3.15pm. If you miss it, catch up on iPlayer later!
You can read more about the filming of the episode here.
Want to find out more current news, mental health training dates and what's on? Just click on our website links for the latest:
Featured events & activities this month:
- For events in November click here.
- For events in December click here.
- For the latest news round up click here.
- Community Action Machynlleth & District (CAMAD) is at the centre of community care and volunteering in the Dyfi Valley and has specialised in working with people suffering with depression through the Volunteering-on-Prescription scheme. A new drop-in service called Pathways is available every Thursday 1 - 4pm. More here.
- Dementia Friends Champion training session - 13 November, 10am - 4pm, Llandrindod Wells. More here.
- Ponthafren's Pink Pamper Party - 14 November, 7.30pm. More here.
- Carers' Respite event, Brecon - 18 November, 10am - 2.30pm, free event. More here.
- Rhayader & District Community Support Wellbeing Club - 20 November, 1.45 - 3.15pm. More here.
- Proposed Changes to the Eligibility Criteria for access to Adult Social Services meeting - 20 November, 2 - 4pm, Llandrindod Wells. More here.
- Welshpool Bipolar Support group - 21 November, 12 - 2pm. More here.
- Ponthafren has two Christmas themed Open Days this year on 6 December, 10am - 4pm. You can find out more about Newtown here, and Welshpool here.
For more information about voluntary sector services, activities and opportunities in your area either get in touch with us
or visit our local links page here
JOIN THE DEBATE - POWYS MENTAL HEALTH BLOG
Talking therapies - can you get them, and if so how? What about crisis resolution home treatment - what's happening in North Powys lately? Lots of questions, but hopefully we have some ideas and a few answers on the blog, plus it's your chance to say what you think! Here’s what we’ve been posting about recently:
My Recovery - our latest guest author writes about the impact of creating art on recovery from heroin addiction, and the invaluable support provided by a number of organisations, including Brecon & District Mind.
Finally receiving treatment - a personal view - we learn about one person’s journey to find talking therapies in Powys.
North Powys Crisis Resolution Home Treatment Team - Manager of the team, Graham Batha, gives an update on activities since the new team started last year.
If you would like to write more about your experiences and views, please get in touch. We welcome guest posts from people who live and work in Powys – you can write anonymously if you wish.
Job vacancies - & some volunteer vacancies
Featured job vacancies this month:
- Chief Executive Officer Diverse Cymru vacancy. Salary - £41,616 - £44,122. Closing date 12 noon 5 December. More here.
- Crossroads Mid and West Wales Care Co-ordinator vacancy. Closing date 15 November. More here.
- Mid Powys Mind is seeking volunteers in its Resource Centre and Art Cafe, and also Outreach Group Support volunteers in Builth Wells, Knighton and Presteigne. More here.
For information about job vacancies across Powys visit PAVO's website here. For more information about volunteer vacancies across Powys visit the Volunteering Wales website here.
What do you think we should be tweeting about? Let us know. Best of all, tweet us about it! This month in twitter:
Feedback about the ebulletin
Funding News and Advice. PAVO Accredited Funding Services "Know how, know who, know when". More information here.
Find Services In Your Community. Try our website here, or Info-Engine here. If your group or organisation is not yet registered on Info Engine go to www.info-engine.org.uk and add your details. Registration is free, secure, and simple to do. For more information or for help with registering contact Claire Powell PAVO on 01597 822191 or email email@example.com
Deadline for December 2014 Powys Mental Health E-Bulletin.
Next e-bulletin is due for circulation week commencing Monday 1 December 2014. Please send any items for inclusion by 9am on Monday 24 November 2014 to firstname.lastname@example.org
is also much appreciated please take 2 minutes to tell us!
Powys Association of Voluntary Organisations/Cwmdeithas Mudiadau Gwirfoddol Powys
Registered Charity No/Rhif Elusen Gofrstredig 1069557
A Company limited by guarantee 3522144 Registered in Wales
Cwmni Cyfyngedig drwy warant 3522144 Wedi ei gofrestru yng Nghymru