Just say "Alexa, set timer for 20 seconds"
According to the CDC, the right way to wash your hands is to wet them with water, lather with soap and then scrub them together for at least 20 seconds.
A foolproof way to be sure you scrub your hands for the full 20 seconds is to set a 20 second Alexa timer. Once you've wet, soaped and lathered your hands, say "Alexa, set timer for 20 seconds" and then scrub, scrub, scrub! Scrub in between your fingers, scrub your palms, scrub the backs of your hands, scrub under your nails, scrub it all!
Pro Tip #1: Washing your hands in a room without an Echo speaker? Another way to time 20 seconds is to hum the "Happy Birthday" song to yourself twice.
Pro Tip #2: Using hand sanitizer? You'll also want to scrub for 20 seconds. Once you've squeezed it into the palm of your hand, rub it all over your hands and fingers vigorously for 20 seconds / until it's dry.
Don't Miss This: CDC's Five Steps To Wash Your Hands The Right Way
- Wet your hands with clean, running water (warm or cold), turn off the tap and apply soap
- Lather your hands by rubbing them together with the soap. Lather the backs of your hands, between your fingers, and under your nails
- Scrub your hands for at least 20 seconds (This is where the Alexa timer comes in!)
- Rinse your hands well under clean, running water
- Dry your hands using a clean towel or air dry them