SCNSW August Newsflash
Tuesday, 12 August 2014
Grüezi members and friends!
"Bonfires, mainly on hills and other elevated spots, commemorate the expulsion of foreign bailiffs in the fourteenth century, the news of which were spread in this manner in those days." ― extract from myswitzerland.com.
Schöne 1. August! Gratuliere to the Swiss Yodelers of Sydney and Swiss Folkdance Group Alpegruess for organisation a fantastic Swiss National Day Picnic again for this year. Over 1,000 people attended and were treated by a vast range of Swiss stalls, food and beverages, and entertainment for the whole family. The SCNSW would like to thank the support of the Swiss Consulate-General of Switzerland in Sydney, Mr. Ernst Steinmann, and all the businesses with stalls. This year, we decided not to organise a 1. August Dinner function, like we normally do each year; and instead, next year we will organise a larger function to celebrate. The Board is in the process of organising possible events and outings for the months of September to November – we will keep you posted on our Facebook page and website.
Feeling peckish for a hearty meal on cold winter nights? Then check out our blog page for a winter warmer and one-pot wonder chorizo recipe by our very own President, Daniel Frutiger, and an article about the history of chorizo.
Upcoming Events in Sydney:
- Playgroup: Sydney Aquarium (Darling Harbour) on 15 August, 10:00 to noon. See details below.
- Playgroup: Play Park OR FLIP OUT in Brookvale on 22 August, 10:00 to noon. TBC at a later stage.
- Schwyzerduetsch for Kids: Blue Mountains Bushwalk on September 14. Details TBA at a later stage.
- SCCS: Swiss Community Care Society AGM on 28 August.
- Playgroup: Father’s Day Craft on 29 August, 10:00 to noon at North Sydney Community Centre. See details below.
- Important Notice: Jessica Steiger-Thorpe, our Editor-In-Chief, has written the Minutes from our 46th AGM 2014 in June. You can download the document here (76KB PDF)