When it comes to breaking old habits or creating new ones, we are frequently more like the tortoise than the hare. That’s because behavior change is hard.
Most of us are wired to resist change rather than warmly embrace it. When it involves altering our own personal behavior, things may be even harder and also complicated by our emotions.
Two of the basic tenets of moving through Prochaska’s 5 stages* of behavior change are to (1) take small steps
to get you started and (2) celebrate successes all along the way
, even the small ones.
Here are some tweaking tips
to consider to reach whatever goals you have set for yourself:
- Set yourself up for success #1: At the beginning of each day (or the night before) determine what MUST get done and then go and do it first.
- Set yourself up for success #2: Be realistic about the number of items on your To Do list. Do not put on more than you know you can possibly do.
- Identify your three most pressing needs.
- Identify three things that make you happy.
- Identify three things you can defer or stop doing altogether to make space to address your most pressing needs and to make time for things that make you happy.
I'd love to hear how these work for you.
All the best,
Enough Already - Clearing Mental Clutter to Become the Best You
By Peter Walsh
Does your life feel out of balance? Most of us are so overwhelmed by work, bills, school, and family commitments that we rush from person to person and place to place without ever feeling satisfied. Sometimes giving one area of our lives too much attention and other areas not enough. It’s always too little or too much! This crazy imbalance and the resulting stress and unhappiness. In this book Peter Walsh helps you bring things back into balance. Read more here.
Be a Healthcare Rebel Blog
Did you know there is a FREE 12-month program available on Colette's, "Be a Healthcare Rebe
l" blog? The program is entitled, "The Year You Decided To Be Less Stressed.
" It's never too late to get started. It includes helpful information and a monthly how-to action plan for decreasing the stress in your life. You will find it here