History: In response to NATS Ontario Members' concerns about NATS Auditions regulation changes, Past President, Elizabeth McDonald and Ontario District Governor, Barbara Dunn-Prosser developed and circulated a survey to determine whether NATS Ontario would adopt the new regulations or retain the method of adjudicating and organization of classes used in the past.
Response: Approximately half of NATS Ontario Members responded to the survey.
Results Summary: responses to the BIG questions:
- 66% of surveyed members said NO to the new marking regulations
- 85% of surveyed members said NO to standardized comments (rather than personal remarks)
- 58% of surveyed members said NO to the new age-limit requirements
- 84% of surveyed members said YES to including a children's category (ages 11-14 years)
- 56% of surveyed members said YES to including a CCM category
- 98% of surveyed members said NO to the exclusion of Canadian music theatre repertoire
- 91% of surveyed members said YES to singers being permitted to enter both music theatre and classical classes
- 74% of surveyed members said YES to eventually moving to a two-day event
And finally: 89% of surveyed members said YES to continuing with our current model (ie NOT adopting the new regulations) and support changing the name.
Results of the survey indicate that although NATS Ontario Membership would like to continue to hold an auditions-like event, NATS Ontario will not adopt the new regulations prescribed by NATS Head Office. In choosing not to adopt the new regulations, NATS Ontario will no longer be able to call the event an "Audition" and the NATS Ontario Executive chose the new name, "NATS Ontario Vocal Showcase
" for future events. NATS Ontario Vocal Showcase 2016 will proceed with the same regulations, categories and classes, and adjudicating standards as past Auditions.
Over the next few years, NATS Ontario Executive will continue to discuss and implement further changes to the Vocal Showcase, including new categories and classes (such as CCM). The Executive pledges to continually inform Membership of ongoing discussion and values all input as we move forward.
Go to the link below to review the detailed survey results report. SURVEY RESULTS
Thank you again for your participation and input!