June 11, 2013
This update includes information on the sixth South African AIDS Conference, which takes place 18-21 June at the International Conference Center in Durban, South Africa. Featured below are details on select events related to biomedical HIV prevention research and implementation, how to meet the AVAC team at the conference and more!
Visit our special SA AIDS 2013 page on the AVAC website.
SA AIDS is a biannual meeting, serving as the primary opportunity to discuss progress and success—as well as challenges—in addressing South Africa’s epidemic. This year’s conference theme is Building on Successes: Integrating Systems. The conference looks to provide a critical venue to discuss the status of biomedical research, as well the progress of moving key interventions such as treatment as prevention and voluntary medical male circumcision to wider scale implementation.
AVAC and many of its partners will be participating in and presenting at the conference. There are several ways you can link in to HIV prevention research and rollout related events—both in-person and from afar:
- SA AIDS 2013 HIV Prevention Research Roadmap: There is a wide range of great sessions planned for SA AIDS 2013 (full program available here), and we have pulled together a roadmap of select sessions that may be of interest to those tracking biomedical prevention research and rollout—please check them out on our SA AIDS 2013 page. If you know of other related events, please be in touch so we can include them on the roadmap.
- Satellite: Linking HIV Prevention Research in South Africa to the Realities of Women’s Lives, co-hosted by AVAC and the Wits Reproductive Health and HIV Institute (WrHI), this session will explore the complexities of trial participation, with real-world, provocative perspectives, especially regarding concerns of female trial participants; Wednesday 19 June, 18.00-20.00, Hall 8, followed by a reception.
- Information on the AVAC Advocacy Fellowship Program: AVAC recently released our 2014 call for applications for our Advocacy Fellowship Program. Join us for an information session on how to apply and meet some of the Fellows on Thursday 20 June at 13.00 at the IAVI, Aeras and MRC booth #57.
- Meet the AVAC team and pick up materials: Come meet us or leave us a message at booth #57. We’ll also have a stock of our materials there for the taking!
- Follow on social media: Follow the conference on Twitter @SAAIDS and using the hashtag #SAAIDS. AVAC and many of our partners will also be posting the latest available on Facebook and Twitter.
We look forward to seeing many of you in Durban. Please stop by to say hello!