Q: Being successful in the real estate industry takes fortitude. To what do you attribute your success?
A: My mother. She gave me a strong base and taught me to be a strong woman. She taught me that if I jump she will be there and that we’ll be alright.
Q: What leaders in real estate (or other lines of business) influence you?
A: Deborah Corso, who runs her own life insurance business, has been a strong leader and mentor to me over the course of 20 years. Paula Serven and Patrick Lewis are both incredible leaders and I will keep them in my sights as I strive to model what they have done. Howard Lein, my current broker, always has an ear to listen to me when I have something I need to talk about. He’s been a great support to me. And finally, Larry Hibler, my first broker, who always had time for me as I was learning the business. I have so much respect for him as does the industry.
Q: From your perspective, how is SAAR significant? Different?
A: SAAR is unique in our industry because we are more than an association. We run five businesses out of the SAAR headquarters. It takes a lot to keep this organization going and the fact that the board and committee members are hard-working volunteers who dedicate their time and efforts toward its success is beyond significant.
Q: What would you like members to know about you? About what’s in store for SAAR?
- I want to impress upon our members that I am approachable. My business card has my personal cell phone number on it so members can reach out to me directly. It’s important that I’m reachable and that members know this.
- I’d like to make sure we provide value to our membership. I want to help members be better prepared to help their clients; be it residential, commercial or property management.
- I’d also like to continue and grow our programs, which improve the community.
- I believe it’s very important we continue to be involved with the state and national associations by participating in their meetings and conferences.
- It’s also important to keep us relevant. The big push now is to keep REALTORS® relevant, and we are! Consumers may shop online, but they buy in person and that’s who we are.
Q: What single piece of advice can you give to someone in any facet of the industry?
A: I can sum that up in a quote that has come up a few times recently. “If you want to go fast, go alone. But if you want to go far, go together.”