Karaoke is Coming to Town
Whether you sing like an angel, like to belt out tunes by Journey, Spice Girls, or Vanilla Ice, or just want to come out to have a good time, get ready for karaoke! This month's social seconds event is Kicking Back with Karaoke!
Start picking out your songs now! This will be our first karaoke event as an alumni chapter, and we are hoping for a great turnout as brothers gather to wind down from the work week.
The event will be held Friday, July 11 at the Greene Turtle in Hampton with the fun beginning at 8:00 pm for food and drinks. DJ Chris Hansin will start up the karaoke music around 9:30.
September is the Next General Body Meeting
Did you miss our spring general body meeting in May? Be sure to mark your calendar for our next meeting which is scheduled for Saturday, September 13 at 10:00 am. The meeting will take place at Christopher Newport University The building and room number will be provided closer to the date of the meeting. Alumni brothers and current CNU Iota Pi members are invited to join us for brunch at Schooners after the meeting.
Remember that all active members must attend two meetings per year in order to maintain their status. Come stay up to date with the HRAC happenings and join us for laser tag afterwards!
Bay Days 8K
On Saturday, September 6, brothers Kim Green and Jody South will be running in the Bay Days 8K race in downtown Hampton. The Bay Days 8K is a 5 mile race that travels from downtown Hampton, through Historic Phoebus, over the bridges of the Chesapeake Bay to Ft. Monroe and back. At the end of the race, medals are provided and there will be live music, adult beverages, and access to various events and museums.
The brothers invite you to sign up and join their team, Rum Runners or just come down to cheer on the group and enjoy a day of activities. Access to Bay Days is free. The race currently has a Living Social deal for $20.
Brothers Visiting Brothers
In late June, brothers Jody South and Zach Grohler traveled to Washington DC to spend the weekend CNU grad and AKPsi alumni brother, Blake Scott, for his birthday.
While in DC, the group attended a MLB baseball game between the Washington Nationals and the Atlanta Braves. They had a great time with Blake and other AKPsi alumni in the DC/Northern Virginia area.
With the number of CNU graduates in Northern Virginia and DC, the Hampton Roads Alumni Chapter has developed an ongoing relationship with many of the Alpha Kappa Psi alumni in that area.
1. What is your full name? Jody Robert South
2. When is your birthday? May 26
3. When did you join AKPsi? The last semester of my senior year
4. Where did you go to school? Old Dominion University, GO MONARCHS!
5. Do you have any siblings? Nope. My parents had me and threw in the towel
6. What is your favorite color? I'm a big fan of green, but I bleed navy blue and gold
7. What is your guilty pleasure? This is a hard one...most of my pleasures are guilty. I would have to say 80's and 90's music (just to keep it tame).
8. If you could have one superpower, what would it be and why? This is a tough one. I grew up reading comics, so I have put some thought into this. I would have to say mind control...but never for nefarious reasons (fingers crossed behind back).
9. What are your best three traits? I feel like this one is best answered by other people, but if I had to do a self-assessment, I would say that my best traits are empathy, humor, and an open mind.
10. Do you have any unusual talents? Nope
11. What is your favorite food(s)? I'm a big fan of mayonnaise...oh yeah, and Mac & Cheese...I can't get enough.
12. What is your favorite tv show? Supernatural
13. If you could travel anywhere, where would you go and why? I would love to go to Antarctica. I love the cold…even when I’m shivering, I’m happy. I grew up in the Adirondack Mountains where we would sometimes have snow up to our second story windows. The heat here in the south is crazy. When it’s cold, you can always put more clothes on; when it’s hot, you can only take off so much before you get arrested.
14. What is your favorite type of music? I like a huge range of music, so I really do not have a favorite. If you stick with the late 80's and 90's I'm usually happy...but I like some newer music and some older tunes as well.
15. Have you ever played any sports? I ran track and cross country in high school and an occasional 5K these days.
16. Tell us an embarrassing story. I feel like my Brothers have enough of these from me already...I don't want to add any fuel to the fire.
Did you like reading about Jody? Want to share your story? Sign Up for a Spotlight Now