Jeff Hughes Visits Hampton Roads
Over the holidays, Jeff Hughes, AKPsi Director of Alumni Development, made a trip down from the Heritage Center to visit our area. Brothers Vicky Aldridge and Sonya Veale were able to meet with Jeff at the Bahama Breeze restaurant near Pembroke Mall in Virginia Beach on Friday, December 26.
Born in San Diego, Jeff has family in Virginia Beach and currently works full time at the AKPsi Heritage Center in Indianapolis, IN where he has been employed for 3 years now.
He and our chapter brothers discussed the convention in Norfolk including tips for leveraging the opportunity as a chapter and shared many laughs throughout dinner. Jeff mentioned that he is an avid fan of Busch Garden's Howl-o-Scream and would be willing to join us should we decide to plan an event in the future.
HRAC 3rd Anniversary Party is Saturday
It's here...January 2015 denotes our third year as an official alumni chapter of Alpha Kappa Psi! Join us this Saturday, January 10 at 7:00 pm as we celebrate our chapter founding.
This year's event will be a potluck and will be held at brother Jody South's house in Suffolk. Many lots are still open for appetizers, main dishes, sides, and more. Click here to review what's still needed and sign up.
The 2014 potluck was a great success with delicious food, games, and plenty of socializing. With brother South's recent remodeling, we expect this year to be bigger and better!
Officer Restructure Proposal
Please take a moment of your time to complete a short Google form. The form contains the Bylaws amendment proposal to change the officer structure for 2015. The main reason behind this is to make the chapter more efficient for our current size. To summarize...the only officers will be President, EVP, Secretary, Treasurer, and VP’s of Marketing and Inter-chapter Relations. The EVP will oversee professional and community service, VP-Inter-chapter Relations will oversee Brotherhood, and Treasurer will oversee Fundraising.
Your name is required but it will not be used when the results are presented. This information is only collected to confirm who has responded. Please complete no later than midnight on Wednesday, January 7.
2015 Elections in February
Brothers, mark your calendars now for our first general body meeting of 2015. The meeting is scheduled for the morning of Saturday, February 7. The exact time and location will be announced at a later time.
It is imperative that we have as many brothers as possible at the February 7 meeting as elections will be held on this date. If you want to cast your nominations and votes to help determine our 2015 officers or if you are interested in becoming an officer, please make this meeting a priority.
AKPsi Needs your Help
Recently, Alpha Kappa Psi sent out postcards and emails to all brothers requesting that they verify the information that the fraternity has on file. Each brother should have received a personal ID number. Verifying is easy. Call 1-866-477-3985 and provide your personal ID number. You will speak with someone who will ask you a few questions about your contact information, membership, and employment. You will also have an opportunity to order your copy of the AKPsi drectory -which is updated only every 5 years.
The information will be collected by Publishing Concepts (PCI). Alpha Kappa Psi has partnered with the company to develop a comprehensive member listing. Your verification is extremely important. PCI is a trusted partner of Alpha Kappa Psi fraternity.
January Brotherhood Spotlight:
1. What is your full name? Brooke Whitney Jones
2. When is your birthday? November 11, 1988
3. When did you join AKPsi? November 15, 2009
4. Where did you go to school? ODU
5. Do you have any siblings? Two older sisters and three younger brothers
6. What is your favorite color? Cerulean, plum, oatmeal. It's really determined by my mood and where I am in life
7. What is your guilty pleasure? Thrifting. I try to tell myself it's only a good deal if it's something you need. Haha.
8. If you could have one superpower, what would it be and why? Singing. Life would be a musical on demand.
9. What are your best three traits? patient, creative, detail oriented
10. Do you have any unusual talents? I'm not sure if this is a talent...probably just unusual but I'm double jointed in all of my fingers and both legs and ambidextrous.
11. What is your favorite food(s)? Chinese, Mexican, and Italian
12. What is your favorite tv show? Living Single
13. If you could travel anywhere, where would you go and why? France. I took French in high school and always thought it was such a romantic place. I'm a sap. Womp womp.
14. What is your favorite type of music? R&B electronica -if there is such a genre field. Example Sa-Ra, J*Davey, Little Dragon, etc.
15. Have you ever played any sports? Rec ball in middle school.
16. Tell us an embarrassing story. NEVER GONNA GET IT! No, seriously. Never.
Did you like reading about Brooke? Want to share your story? Sign Up for a Spotlight Now