Iota Pi is Starting the School Year with a Bang
Now that school is back is session, so is the Iota Pi chapter at CNU. The chapter begins rush activities for new members this next week and invites you to come out to support them -particularly for Alumni Night on Thursday, September 11. Below are a few dates to remember:
Thursday, September 11 Alumni Night 6:00 pm at DSU
Friday, September 19 Bid Cookout TBD
Sunday, September 21 Induction Ceremony
Sunday, October 26 Mid-Court Ceremony
Sunday, November 16 Court of Honor Ceremony
The chapter is also looking for Alumni Bigs to help new members to connect with AKPsi graduates. It is very easy to be an alumni brother; just communicate by phone, email, or in person to answer a few questions for your little. Interested? Email Alissa Patnode at firstname.lastname@example.org.
General Body Meeting & Brunch
Don't forget to join us for the general body meeting on Saturday, September 13 at 10:00 am. The meeting will take place at Christopher Newport University The building and room number will be provided closer to the date of the meeting.
After the meeting, alumni brothers and current CNU Iota Pi members are invited to join us for our Back to School Brunch at Schooners. The restaurant is right across the street from campus and offers tasty brunch options as well as discounted beverages.
Remember that all active members must attend two meetings per year in order to maintain their status. Changes are coming with HRAC! Come learn about HRAC changes and share your thoughts! We will also shoot some footage for our video during the meeting and brunch.
Show Us Your Skills
The 2015 Convention is coming to Norfolk and we need your help in showing what we have to offer in our area! We are working on a video to share with other AKPsi brothers to help promote the convention and all the fun things people can do here in Hampton Roads.
How can you help? If find yourself in a fun environment or at a local landmark, pull out your camera or phone and record a few seconds of yourself dancing around the area. Yes...it sounds silly, but this is what we want! We will compile all of the videos to make our own "Happy" video like Pharrell's.
We request that the videos are during the day or in a well lit area and that all videos are sent to brother Kim Green, email@example.com no later than 11/15. Please do not wait until the deadline though. Send your videos as you take them! So next time you're in downtown Norfolk, at Mermaid Winery, at a Tides game, by the oceanfront, or wherever it may be, start recording! Be as silly as you'd like!
Spectrum Golf Tournament
Tickets Still Available
Tickets are still available for the 5th Annual Spectrum Foundation Golf Tournament on Friday, September 19. The event will take place at 1:00 pm at The Pines golf course at Ft. Eustis. Prizes will be awarded and raffle drawings will take place during the event. Review more information and sign up as an individual or a team of four here. The deadline to sign up is Friday, September 12.
The Spectrum Foundation was implemented in January 2009 to satisfy the growing demand of Spectrum employees to support and participate in charitable efforts at a corporate level. The Foundation, a donor-advised fund under the Peninsula Community Foundation, serves as the governing body for all of Spectrum's charitable giving with fifty percent of the proceeds from the Foundation supporting the military. The Foundation has raised over $25,000 to date.
Support HRAC's 8K Runners
On Saturday, September 6, brothers Kim Green and Jody South will be running in the Bay Days 8K race in downtown Hampton. The Bay Days 8K is a 5 mile race begins in downtown Hampton and travels through Historic Phoebus, over the bridges of the Chesapeake Bay to Ft. Monroe and back. At the end of the race, medals are provided and there will be live music, adult beverages, and access to various events and museums.
Come out to support your fellow brothers and stay for the fun. The race begins at 8:30 am but events last throughout the weekend, and Saturday night ends with fireworks. Bay Days is an event for the whole family, and access is free.
1. What is your full name? Kimberly Brianne Green
2. When is your birthday? October 5, 1982
3. When did you join AKPsi? Fall 2002
4. Where did you go to school? Roanoke College for undergrad; Troy University for grad
5. Do you have any siblings? I have 8 younger brothers and sisters, and an older stepsister. -Yep...my dad was busy!
6. What is your favorite color? Teal
7. What is your guilty pleasure? After our July social seconds activity, I think everyone knows I am obsessed with karaoke.
8. If you could have one superpower, what would it be and why? I'm torn between invisibility and telekinesis.
9. What are your best three traits? I'm organized, loyal, and detail-oriented
10. Do you have any unusual talents? Nothing I can think of right off
11. What is your favorite food(s)? Mexican, Japanese, and crab cakes
12. What is your favorite tv show? Castle
13. If you could travel anywhere, where would you go and why? A cruise to Jamaica tops my list. I've also said I want to go to Bora Bora for a honeymoon/romantic vacation.
14. What is your favorite type of music? Top 40 hits and 80's music
15. Have you ever played any sports? Cheerleading, track, cross country, and basketball. I also played softball when I was little.
16. Tell us an embarrassing story. I didn't learn to swim until I was 11. I always thought that my problem was that I was afraid to take my feet off the bottom of the pool. When I was 17, my boyfriend and I were at the pool at his grandparent's house. He had gone inside leaving me alone. I saw some arm floaties and put them on my ankles to see what it would do. Let's just say it wasn't a good idea!
Did you like reading about Kim? Want to share your story? Sign Up for a Spotlight Now