Elections This Saturday
Join us at the first general body meeting of 2015! This will be a very important meeting as we will hold elections for our 2015 officers as well as vote on future changes in the organization -including the cost of membership dues. We encourage that as many of you that are able will attend this meeting. The meeting will be held on Saturday, February 7 at 11:00 am at the Pretlow Library in Norfolk (off of Ocean View Blvd). Please remember that you must pay membership dues in order to vote.
The positions open for elections will include: President, Executive Vice President, VP of Administration, VP of Finance, VP of Marketing, and VP of Inter-Chapter Relations. Please think carefully about the roles and if you or someone you know would make a good candidate for any of the positions.
After the meeting, we will retreat to locally-owned BBQ restaurant, Mojo Bones, which is just a short distance from the library. We hope to see you there!
Membership Dues / Renewal
It's that time again. Membership renewal for 2015 is here. Will you join us this year as we work to grow the chapter to make it bigger and better? We can't do it without you. Dues for 2015 will be $25 (same as last year) and are good through December 31.
What do I get for joining? In addition to being an official chapter member, your dues will allow you to attend special member-only events, give you voting privileges, provide you an opportunity to be an officer or committee member, and offer free or discounted entry to some of our future events. Also, since AKPsi Convention is in Norfolk this year, what better time is there to show your pride as a member of the Hampton Roads Alumni Chapter?!
Dues may be paid in person or online by clicking here. To vote in the February 7, elections, your dues must be paid prior to the meeting. You can bring in payment that morning as well.
HRAC Convention Video Expected to Go Viral!
This past weekend the Hampton Roads Alumni Chapter officially released the convention video we've been working on over the last few months. Thank you to all brothers who participated and showed off their fancy dance moves!
The video has been posted on the chapter's YouTube channel as well as on the home page of the website. Today, the reveal goes national as Wendy Wendroff and Jessica Seitz, convention chairs for the 2015 convention will feature it on the AKPsi YouTube channel, shared on social media, and added in the convention blog. The video will also be shown at PBLI this weekend. We are putting Hampton Roads on the map!
Order Your HRAC T-Shirt
The brotherhood is ordering new HRAC t-shirts. Did you get one of our 2013 t-shirts? The chapter has decided to develop a new shirt that incorporates the HRAC logo design as well as invest in a different color shirt. Now it is here! We will be accepting pre-orders online and in person at the general body meeting on February 7. Short sleeved shirts are $15 each and long-sleeved shirts are $20 each.
February Service Opportunity
Brother Joy Johnson and her organization, Projects by Joy (PBJ), is working with the Menchville House in Newport News to gather items to assist staff and temporary residents that come to the location. Joy is collecting household and kitchen items as well as non-perishable food items to donate to the Menchville House. The Menchville House is an emergency housing facility for the homeless families in the Denbigh area of Newport News. Please show your support and donate if you can. If you have any questions, feel free to contact Joy at firstname.lastname@example.org. The collection will run the entire month of February.
February Brotherhood Spotlight:
1. What is your full name? Sonya Maria Veale
2. When is your birthday? November 12
3. When did you join AKPsi? Fall 2001
4. Where did you go to school? Old Dominion University
5. Do you have any siblings? Yes. I have a younger sister
6. What is your favorite color? I love orange
7. What is your guilty pleasure? Shopping for myself
8. If you could have one superpower, what would it be and why? Learn my life lessons the first time around. If nothing else, it shortens my learning curve. I hate waiting.
9. What are your best three traits? Loyalty, giving advice, determination. I just don't believe in "CAN'T."
10. Do you have any unusual talents? Unusual? I would say no.
11. What is your favorite food(s)? I love food. Period. I can't just pick one.
12. What is your favorite tv show? TV is another one of my guilty pleasures. I really enjoy Blacklist, Scandal and The Good Wife.
13. If you could travel anywhere, where would you go and why? UAE Abu Dhabi. I personally aspire to be a commercial real estate developer. I am absolutely fascinated by the way they took a dry barren desert land and imported sand and built the destination where the rich and most wealthiest people to your average everyday person flock to. It's a different way of life that offers experiences that we will never have here in the U.S. Not to mention it's a great opportunity to learn and grow exponentially professionally and personally.
14. What is your favorite type of music? I like gospel, R&B and jazz.
15. Have you ever played any sports? I ran track, and I was a ballet dancer for 9 years.
16. Tell us an embarrassing story. One time, I took my sister out bowling for her birthday. It was my turn to bowl. Not only did I bowl a gutter ball, but I fell flat out in the lane and everybody was laughing at me. I got up off the floor, hurried back to the table, and put my head down. I was soooo embarrassed. I just couldn't believe I was lying flat out in the lane like that. Then, it was the last frame, the bowling alley was closing, everybody was looking at me as I took a deep breath to bowl the last frame. Low and behold...it was a strike! Talk about sweet redemption.