4th Annual Cookout Brings Record Crowd!
On Saturday, May 16, the Hampton Roads Alumni Chapter held its fourth annual cookout. The shaded shelter at Great Neck Park turned out to be an excellent location for the event. Like the previous cookouts, this event included a pot luck where the chapter paid for the hamburgers, hotdogs, and condiments and each brother in attendance brought a side dish or dessert.
Each year, the cookout continues to grow. This year boasted the largest turnout thus far -with many new brothers and returning new members in attendance. Activities included cards, cornhole, music, socializing, and a group game of Win, Lose or Draw.
Overall, the event went off without a hitch. We'd like to thank all who participated and helped to make this cookout a success.
General Body Meeting and Seafood Lunch
June is here...and with it comes our next quarterly general body meeting. Please mark your calendars and plan to attend the meeting at noon on Saturday, June 13. The meeting will be held in Compass Pointe building -at the corner of Oyster Point Blvd and Canon Blvd. The address for the building is One Compass Way, Newport News, VA 23606. Come ready to share your ideas and get an update on what's to come with HRAC!
Following the meeting, brothers are invited to come out to Harpoon Larry's on J Clyde Morris Blvd to join us for a seafood lunch. Not a seafood eater? Not to worry! Harpoon Larry's has something for everyone.
HRAC's First Honorary Member
Congratulations to Josh Grohler -who has been nominated and approved as the first honorary member of the Hampton Roads Alumni Chapter of Alpha Kappa Psi!
Josh Grohler is a business graduate from Virginia Commonwealth University. Unfortunately, Alpha Kappa Psi didn’t have a chapter at VCU when he was in school, but after he moved back home, he became actively interested in CNU’s Iota Pi Chapter where his brother, Zach attended. attending. Josh was recommended as an honorary brother due to his long standing interest in Alpha Kappa Psi as well as his skills and business experience.
An honorary member ritual ceremony is scheduled for later this summer. Please watch for more details. We hope you will attend the ceremony and ask that you join us in welcoming Josh as an honorary member of the HRAC.
AKPsi 2015 Convention is Right Around the Corner
The 2015 convention in Norfolk is next month! The dates are from Wednesday, July 29 through Saturday, August 1 and will include an array of activities from award luncheons, to alumni outings and a grand banquet and dance at the end. Convention packages and a la carte options are available. Check out the details in the links below for more information and to decide what you'd like to attend. Online registration is now open and will continue through July 10. Sign up now! Also, don't forget to collect your backpack(s) to bring to Pack the Bus!
Best Wishes to Shelly & Adam
Congratulations to HRAC brother and VP of Finance, Shelly Rossi who was joined in matrimony with Adam Fore on Saturday, May 30. The ceremony took place at noon in Mariners Park in Newport News. Many Iota Pi and HRAC brothers were in attendance to commemorate the occasion.
The Hampton Roads Alumni Chapter would like to wish Shelly and Adam the best as they begin their journey together.
June Brotherhood Spotlight
Denise Ellis Peterson
1. What is your full name? Denise Ellis Peterson
2. When is your birthday? February 9
3. When did you join AKPsi? Fall 1990 (November 17th)
4. Where did you go to school? Christopher Newport University -undergrad; Hampton University -grad
5. Do you have any siblings? Yes, the oldest of my parents and middle of my dad.
6. What is your favorite color? Purple
7. What is your guilty pleasure? #TGIT
8. If you could have one superpower, what would it be and why? Teleport -I spend so much time in traffic and as most, have a hectic schedule.
9. What are your best three traits? I'm organized, trustworthy, and frank.
10. Do you have any unusual talents? No.
11. What is your favorite food(s)? Mac and cheese and pizza
12. What is your favorite tv show? Scandal
13. If you could travel anywhere, where would you go and why? Return to Bermuda or another Hawaiian Island cruise. On both trips, the islands were beautiful and so serene.
14. What is your favorite type of music? Jazz
15. Have you ever played any sports? Bowling, track, tennis and volleyball.
16. Tell us an embarrassing story. I don't really have one.