Get Ready for Rituals, Go Karts and Mini Golf
Join us this Saturday, July 11, for a fun afternoon of rituals, go karting and miniature golf! At 1:00 pm, we will meet at Brother Zach Grohler's house at 1029 Angler Ln. where we will perform the honorary member ritual for future new brother, Josh Grohler. The ritual is limited to brothers only.
After the ceremony (around 2:00 pm), we will celebrate this special occasion at MotorWorld on Birdneck Road. Ticket prices vary by the cart , number of race laps and activity. Visit www.vbmotorworld.com for more details.
This will be a fun-filled Saturday that you don't want to miss!
June General Meeting Recap
Our June 13th general body meeting had 7 brothers in attendance at the Compass Pointe location in Newport News. The meeting lasted approximately one hour. During that time, it was noted that website changes were coming this summer and that Zach Grohler would take on the role of VP of Inter-chapter Relations. There was a motion to conclude the Adopt a Spot program and search for a new community service option as well. Please be on the lookout for a survey regarding this potential change.
In addition to these updates, we ask that anyone interested in possibly ordering one of the new t-shirts (short or long sleeved) please contact brother Jaimie Ferns as we may place a second order if there is enough interest. Please read the full minutes for additional details from the meeting.
Following the meeting, brothers convened at Harpoon Larry's for a delicious seafood lunch.
AKPsi 2015 Convention Registration Deadline July 10
Can you believe it's already here? The 2015 convention in Norfolk is at the end of this month! The dates are from Wednesday, July 29 through Saturday, August 1 and will include an array of activities from award luncheons, to alumni outings and a grand banquet and dance at the end.
If you've been trying to decide what to attend, our recent poll can help. Based on the results, the following are the most popular activities with your fellow HRAC brothers:
Wednesday, July 29 @ 6:00 pm -Alumni Meet n Greet (free)
Wednesday, July 29 @ 8:00 pm -Convention Kick-Off Party ($25)
Thursday, July 30 @ 7:00 pm -Ocean View Fishing Pier ($35)
Friday, July 31 @ 4:00 pm -Celebration of Brotherhood ($25)
Friday, July 31 @ 7:00 pm -Spirit of Norfolk ($64)
Online registration ends July 10. Sign up now!
Convention Backpack Drive
This is a reminder that the Alpha Kappa Psi Convention that beings at the end of the month is holding an alumni competition. This year, the organization wants each alumni chapter to collect and bring as many backpacks as possible to the convention to help "Stuff the Bus" for kids in Norfolk and support ForKids, Inc.
If you haven't already, start collecting backpacks now. With Convention right here in our backyard, we want show our brothers how we do things in Hampton Roads and win this competition!
July Brotherhood Spotlight
1. What is your full name? Christa Capone
2. When is your birthday? June 5
3. When did you join AKPsi? Spring 2009
4. Where did you go to school? Christopher Newport University
5. Do you have any siblings? I have one brother who just turned 18 this year! I can't believe he is an "adult."
6. What is your favorite color? Depends on the day; I am very fold of teal and purple
7. What is your guilty pleasure? I've read all of the Pretty Little Liar books... all 18 of them.
8. If you could have one superpower, what would it be and why? I would love to be able to fly. I hate sitting in traffic and Hampton Roads seems to be full of it.
9. What are your best three traits? Honesty, Tenacity (my husband suggested this one), and Sympathetic.
10. Do you have any unusual talents? Not that I am currently aware of.
11. What is your favorite food(s)? Fresh berries!
12. What is your favorite tv show? I don't know that I truly have a favorite. I have binge watched plenty of shows on Netflix, but if I had to choose one, it would most likely be Law and Order: SVU. No matter how many times I have seen an episode, I can still sit through it full of anticipation.
13. If you could travel anywhere, where would you go and why? Sicily. I've always wanted to go and now that I am a Capone, I definitely have to go.
14. What is your favorite type of music? I love listening to small bands that not a lot of people know. Don't get me wrong, I also enjoy music popularized by the radio.
15. Have you ever played any sports? Not a one. I know how to play sports, but I tend to be uncoordinated and the glasses don't help much.
16. Tell us an embarrassing story. Last October, my husband and I got married and naturally went on our honeymoon. We took a Carnival Cruise to the Caribbean. During the formal dinner, our waiter brought out a cake in celebration of our wedding and made the following announcement, "Ladies and Gentlemen, I would like you to help me congratulate Chris and Christa on their marriage. No, those aren't waves that are rocking the boat, it's them." I was mortified.