As we continue through the month of October, we are learning and identifying ways to practice Intellectual Wellness! While you might know that you need to exercise your body, did you know that it is also important to exercise your mind? One of the best ways to exercise our minds is to learn new things. So, instead of sitting down and watching television at the end of the day, opt for a good book or puzzle! We have provided a few resources to help you and your family grow your brain and practice Intellectual Wellness.
- Libby - a free website or app that allows you to borrow and read ebooks and audiobooks from your local public library
- Sudoku - free puzzles to sharpen your logic with numbers
- Braingle - a free website with over 15,000 brain teasers and puzzles
Vote to Make Your Voice Heard:
The State of New Jersey has provided vote-by-mail (VBM) drop boxes for each county in advance of the general election on Nov. 3. The Camden City VBM drop box will be located in the Administration Building, 600 Market Street (former entrance for Surrogate’s Office on Market Street). This location will be available 24 hours each day through the close of polls on election day. Each location is well-lit, secured and monitored by video surveillance cameras. Be sure to vote and make your voice heard!
To help support you during this election year, we are excited to offer our Uncommon votes page as a resource! Please use this page to find info on voting deadlines and links to look up your registration status, register to vote, and request your absentee/vote-by-mail ballots. Use this site to make a voting plan to ensure that your voice is heard!
COVID-19 Testing Sites:
All Camden families are encouraged to get tested for COVID-19 even if you do not have any symptoms. Please see below for local opportunities provided by CAMcare Health Corporation from 1:00PM TO 4:00PM. To make an appointment, please call (856) 583-2400.
Mondays - Thursdays
Gateway Health Center
817 Federal Street
Camden, NJ 08102
2610 Federal Street
Family Meal Assistance:
If you or someone you know is in need of food, please check out the Food Bank of South Jersey or Touch New Jersey websites to find food distributions in your area. Upcoming events are listed below and find additional information here:
- The SSJ Neighborhood Center Food Pantry: Every 3rd Wednesday from 2:30-6:30 PM out of the lower level of Christus Church located at 26th Street and Hayes Street, Camden, NJ 08105
- Puerto Rican Unity for Progress (PRUP) & Cathedral Kitchen Drive-up: Every Wednesday from 1-3 pm located 818 S. Broadway Camden NJ, 08103
- Heart of Camden FREE Food Distribution: We are continuing our mission of helping the families of Camden during this pandemic. Please share and let families know they are continuing our food distribution up through Thanksgiving on Thursdays from 11:30 am to 3pm, 1840 Broadway Ave, Camden, NJ, 08104. Call (856) 966-7011 for information.
- Virtual Mobile Market: We will be returning to a retail model, with socially distanced walk-up—Camden schedule as follows:
- Tuesdays, 12pm to 1:30pm - Roosevelt Plaza Park, 520 Market Street, Camden
- Wednesdays, Camden 2:30pm to 4pm, Virtua Camden- Health & Wellness Center- Emergency Dept. Parking Lot (Enter from Mt. Ephraim Avenue), 1000 Atlantic Avenue, Camden
- Food Bank of South Jersey Invites You to a FREE Interactive Online Nutrition and Cooking Class: Spots are filling up fast! SIGN UP TODAY simply with your e-mail address or cell phone number below and ***Receive a FREE Cooking Gadget for Attending*** SIGN UP HERE!
- Registration is now open for Hopeworks 2020 Fall Code Day - 10/24, 9 am to 12 pm
- Want to learn about technology or coding or improve your coding skills? We have a workshop for you! We can offer something for anyone who wants to learn about Tech or coding! Join us for this year's (all virtual) Code Day! Technology volunteers from across the region will work with you to build your tech skills!
- Promise Neighborhood Family Success Center is now offering ESL Classes in partnership with Cooper Medical School! If you, or someone you know, is interested in FREE ESL classes please reach out to us! Our online classes will be starting the week of October 12th! Call to register: 856-964-8096. For more information click here, lea en Español.
- The Heart of Camden Inc. is providing FREE cleaning supplies and personal products for the whole family every Thursday from 11:30am to 2:30pm at 1840 Broadway Ave, Camden, NJ, 08104. Call (856) 966-1212 for more information.
- FCHS Camden County, Rutgers Cooperative Extension is hosting a Facebook LIVE Series every Friday at 2pm for a cooking demonstration using affordable ingredients found in many Corner Stores. Learn how to identify healthy options in stores and learn ideas for quick meals, snacks, and beverages for families and people of all ages! For More Info https://fb.me/e/1a3hKcTf3 or see this flyer.
- Mighty Writers Camden, located at 1801 Broadway Camden, NJ 08104 is providing necessities and books this Fall, Mondays-Thursdays, from 12pm-1pm. Mighty Writers Camden is also offering online workshops. Questions: Call (856) 295-1048 or email email@example.com. See here for more information.
- Get Your Flu Shot: To accommodate social distancing recommendations, this year’s flu shot program, provided by Camden County, is being conducted as drive-thru events at multiple locations throughout the county. There will be a designated lane for pre-registered constituents. Pre-registering will cut down on the waiting time to receive your flu shot. Click to Pre-register and find the schedule here!
- The Masked Melanin Market takes place from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. Sundays at Wiggins Waterfront Park, 1 Riverside Drive, Camden. Food trucks and Vendors will be present. Face masks required.
Learn How to Apply to State and Local Jobs:
The New Jersey Civil Service Commission (CSC) is scheduling virtual information sessions to promote careers in State and local government. All New Jersey residents are encouraged to attend these free presentations. Each visit will include an hour overview on how to apply for State and local jobs, and provide resource materials. Questions pertaining to the application process will also be answered. Sign up: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/HispanicHeritageCSC
- Friday October 23, 2020 from 11:00AM to 12:30PM
- Wednesday October 28, 2020 from 3:00PM to 4:30PM