Wellness Corner: It’s Intellectual Wellness Month at Uncommon!
Every month, Uncommon will be celebrating a wellness theme. The month of October’s theme is Intellectual wellness. Intellectual wellness is when you think about and understand your talents. It includes doing activities that help grow your mind. You can take care of your mind by being creative, trying new things, and learning new things. Intellectual wellness involves having an open mind when you encounter new ideas and continuing to expand your knowledge. It encourages active participation in scholastic, cultural, and community activities.
This month, we encourage you and your family to complete the October Wellness Challenge below to practice and incorporate Intellectual Wellness into your day!
Vote to Make Your Voice Heard:
Election season is in full swing, and it’s more important than ever to make your voice heard at the ballot box! Please see below for important election updates.
- The deadline to register to vote in the upcoming election is TODAY, October 9th. You can register online here with a NY license or ID. If you don’t have a NY state license or ID, there’s still time to register by mail, but it has to be postmarked by today. You can download and print the form here or pick one up at your local post office.
- Some absentee ballots in Brooklyn have been mailed out with errors. Make sure you check your absentee ballot as soon as you receive it to ensure it is correct. If you have received an absentee ballot with errors on it, you don’t have to do anything. The Board of Elections will be mailing correct ballots to all of those impacted. Click here for more information on how to complete your ballot.
- You still have time to apply for an absentee ballot if you prefer not to vote in person. The deadline is October 27th. Apply here.
There’s still time to complete your census!
The census count has been extended to October 31st! Resources and representation for your community are at stake, so make sure that you, your neighbors, family, and friends complete it by the deadline.
Uncommon Parent Partners for Advocacy:
Even though we can’t be together physically, the PPFA is still meeting regularly to keep our families connected! If you would like to stay connected to our community or just take a break from your normal routine, sign up to stay plugged into our virtual events. Interested in becoming a part of the Parent Partners for Advocacy (PPFA)? Sign up here.
- Mental Health, Equity & Resilience: Please join us for COVID-19 Community conversations with the Department of Health and Mental Hygiene on Wednesday, 10/21 @ 11:30am OR 5:30pm. Please RSVP @ http://bit.ly/Covid19chat.
- Book-O-Ween: We are hosting our annual Book-O-Ween event on Saturday, 10/31 from 12pm - 3pm in the Brownsville and Bedford Stuyvesant neighborhoods. During this event our recruitment team will share information about our schools and Early Voting. Since our event is on Halloween it’s only right that we give away free books, candy, and have fun activities and music during this festive event. Please register here to attend and/or volunteer http://bit.ly/BOOKYOURVOTE.