Wellness Corner: November is Physical Wellness Month at Uncommon!
As we continue through November as Physical Wellness Month at Uncommon, we are excited to share a few wellness resources specific to healthy eating and sleeping habits.
COVID-19 Testing Sites:
All Camden families are encouraged to get tested for COVID-19 even if you do not have any symptoms. Please see below for local opportunities provided by CAMcare Health Corporation from 1:00PM TO 4:00PM. To make an appointment, please call (856) 583-2400.
Mondays - Thursdays
Gateway Health Center
817 Federal Street
Camden, NJ 08102
2610 Federal Street
Family Meal Assistance:
If you or someone you know is in need of food, please check out the Food Bank of South Jersey or Touch New Jersey websites to find food distributions in your area. Upcoming events are listed below and find additional information here:
- The SSJ Neighborhood Center Food Pantry: Every 3rd Wednesday from 2:30-6:30 PM out of the lower level of Christus Church located at 26th Street and Hayes Street, Camden, NJ 08105
- Puerto Rican Unity for Progress (PRUP) & Cathedral Kitchen Drive-up: Every Wednesday from 1-3 pm located 818 S. Broadway Camden NJ, 08103
- Heart of Camden FREE Food Distribution: We are continuing our mission of helping the families of Camden during this pandemic. Please share and let families know they are continuing our food distribution up through Thanksgiving on Thursdays from 11:30 am to 3pm, 1840 Broadway Ave, Camden, NJ, 08104. Call (856) 966-7011 for information.
- Virtual Mobile Market: We will be returning to a retail model, with socially distanced walk-up—Camden schedule as follows:
- Tuesdays, 12pm to 1:30pm - Roosevelt Plaza Park, 520 Market Street, Camden
- Wednesdays, Camden 2:30pm to 4pm, Virtua Camden- Health & Wellness Center- Emergency Dept. Parking Lot (Enter from Mt. Ephraim Avenue), 1000 Atlantic Avenue, Camden
- Cathedral Kitchen Providing Meals and Groceries, located @ 1514 Federal Street, Camden 856 964.6771 – No paperwork needed!
- Mondays, 2:30-5pm: Personal Care-choice of toiletries needed
- Wednesdays, 3:15-5pm: Market stand-choice of groceries available & Pop Up Library - free books
- Weekdays, 3:15-5pm and Sat, noon -1pm: We serve hot "to go" meals at the door, plus take-away bags of food and bottles of water.
- In Collaboration presents Everybody Eats: Camden Edition on Thanksgiving Day, November 26th from 10am-1pm. This event will be held at the Camden Arts Yard – 317 Market Street, Camden, NJ 08102. Free food and essentials will be available! See this flyer for more information.
- Join Camden’s Mayor Frank Moran & First Lady Ivette Moran on November 20, 2020 from 12pm to 6pm for the City of Camden’s 3rd Annual Turkey Giveaway. FREE turkeys provided thanks to generous donations by Camden based corporations: NFI, American Water & The Michaels Organization. City of Camden residents only, first come-first served, social distancing & mask required. Must pre-register at Mayormoranturkeydrop2020.eventbrite.com. Click here for more information.
- The Kroc Center in Camden is offering a "Drive Thru" pantry as well as a Walk-Up. Call 856-379-4871 to schedule an appointment. Visit www.camdenkroccenter.org for more information. Click here and here for more information.
- Food Bank of South Jersey Invites You to a FREE Interactive Online Nutrition and Cooking Class: Spots are filling up fast! SIGN UP TODAY simply with your e-mail address or cell phone number below and ***Receive a FREE Cooking Gadget for Attending*** SIGN UP HERE!
- Promise Neighborhood Family Success Center is now offering ESL Classes in partnership with Cooper Medical School! If you, or someone you know, is interested in FREE ESL classes please reach out to us! Our online classes will be starting the week of October 12th! Call to register: 856-964-8096. For more information click here, lea en Español.
- The Heart of Camden Inc. is providing FREE cleaning supplies and personal products for the whole family every Thursday from 11:30am to 2:30pm at 1840 Broadway Ave, Camden, NJ, 08104. Call (856) 966-1212 for more information.
- FCHS Camden County, Rutgers Cooperative Extension is hosting a Facebook LIVE Series every Friday at 2pm for a cooking demonstration using affordable ingredients found in many Corner Stores. Learn how to identify healthy options in stores and learn ideas for quick meals, snacks, and beverages for families and people of all ages! For More Info https://fb.me/e/1a3hKcTf3 or see this flyer.
- Mighty Writers Camden, located at 1801 Broadway Camden, NJ 08104 is providing necessities and books this Fall, Mondays-Thursdays, from 12pm-1pm. Mighty Writers Camden is also offering online workshops. Questions: Call (856) 295-1048 or email email@example.com. See here for more information.
- Get Your Flu Shot: To accommodate social distancing recommendations, this year’s flu shot program, provided by Camden County, is being conducted as drive-thru events at multiple locations throughout the county. There will be a designated lane for pre-registered constituents. Pre-registering will cut down on the waiting time to receive your flu shot. Click to Pre-register and find the schedule here!
- The Masked Melanin Market takes place from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. Sundays at Wiggins Waterfront Park, 1 Riverside Drive, Camden. Food trucks and Vendors will be present. Face masks required.
Reminder: Child Care Tuition Assistance Program:
The applications for the COVID-19 Child Care Tuition Assistance Program are still open until funds are exhausted and assistance will be available until December 2020. Eligible families in need of child care for their school age children as schools have opened remotely can apply online at www.childcarenj.gov/COVID19. The tuition assistance is part of a $250 million plan announced last month by Governor Murphy to support working families and child care. This new program will provide tuition assistance to New Jersey families with incomes up to $75,000 in need of either full or part-time childcare depending on their school’s remote learning schedule. The department will consider applications until funding is exhausted. Below you will find fliers with more information and details about the program including a Spanish version.