Wellness Corner: Student and Parent Wellness Activity
The new school year is here and there is no better time to prioritize family wellness! We are excited to share with you resources related to child, parent, and family self-care. Self-care is about HOW you take care of yourself, not IF you do. It is really anything that we deliberately do (or refrain from doing) with our own well-being in mind.
Take some time to create a self-care plan for you, your child, and your family!
15 Self-care Strategies for Families
Self-care for Parents
2020 Census Reminder:
This is your regular reminder that Census 2020 is happening now! So many resources that our communities rely on, including education funding, are determined by the Census. It’s essential that everyone in our communities is counted.
This year census numbers are low: the response rate for Brooklyn is only about 55%, and in some neighborhoods, it’s even lower! Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, Census canvassing has been suspended and delayed in most places. Additionally, the Trump administration is suspending Census counting a month before its scheduled ending. This premature ending will certainly result in undercounts all over the country.
Communities that get undercounted don’t get the resources they deserve. Support our community by filling out your census today, and please encourage your families and neighbors to do the same. Click here to fill out your census and #getcounted.
Vote to Make Your Voice Heard:
One of the most important elections of our generations is coming up this November. Make sure that you’re not left out and your voice is heard! Who we elect as the next President will matter greatly in the area of education, women’s rights, immigration, prison reform, crime, healthcare access and so many other issues that impact our communities. Election Day is right around the corner, and we need to make sure that our voices are heard!
- To help support you during this election year, we are excited to launch our Uncommon votes page! Please use this page to find info on voting deadlines and links to, register to vote, and request your absentee/vote-by-mail ballots. Use this site to make a voting plan to ensure that your voice is heard!
- If you haven’t already registered to vote, the deadline to register is October 9th!
- If you are planning to vote by absentee ballot, do it early! There are delays with the postal system, so make sure to request and mail your ballots ASAP! You can also drop off your ballots at any NYC Board of Elections office now, at early voting sites from October 24th-November 1st, and at any polling site on Election Day.
- Become a poll worker: The New York City Board of Elections is actively seeking poll workers for the upcoming election. You can earn up to $2800 by working up to ten days during early voting and on Election Day. To apply to be a poll worker, click here.
- Join us for National Voter Registration Day! We’ll be out in our communities, helping our neighbors register to vote on Tuesday, September 22nd from 3-6pm. Sign up here to volunteer!
All family members or legal guardians are welcome to join Parent Partners for Advocacy (PPFA). PPFA are advocates from across all of Uncommon NYC schools that work together in our communities to advocate for access, equity, protection and fairness that our schools and neighborhoods deserve. There is no better time to advocate than now! If you are interested please complete the following interest form.