A Year in Review!
The Science Team at Curriculum and Instruction had an amazing year of learning, teaching, coordinating, collaborating, imagining and planning. We've been fortunate enough to be able to support organizations in bringing science experiences directly to our students. Watching students participate in hands-on science has been exciting and rewarding! Here are a few of the largest events we were able to support:
- Bay Area Science Festival - We kicked off the school year with a day long science fair with interactive and hands-on science booths. This event was open to the public and heavily promoted with SFUSD schools.
- STEM College and Career Fair - 394 High School students (and parents) engaged in workshops led by UC Berkeley student organizations and academic clubs, and interacted with college and industry professionals in a resource fair around STEM careers.
- BioBlitz - 1600 SFUSD 4th-8th graders, along with 400 students from other districts, participated in the 2014 BioBlitz. Students inventoried living things alongside biologists and attended the Biodiversity Festival in Crissy Field.
In addition to student centered events, the Science Team has offered professional development and science support to teachers through central and site-based Professional Development sessions. To date, we've been able to offer:
- Over 1,500 hours of contact with SFUSD teachers through central PDs
- Over 625 hours of contact with SFUSD teachers through school site-based PDs
- Over 475 hours of one-on-one coaching
- SFUSD's first (but definitely not last) online PD
This year also marked the launch of several new modes of communication from our department, including:
Keep watching these spaces as we fill them with resources for SFUSD teachers, students and families!
We look forward to continuing this support next year, while innovating new ways to encourage high quality science teaching and learning for all SFUSD students. Stay tuned for PD opportunities, science events, student opportunities, and more!