SPOTLIGHT ON: SUMMER SCIENCE LEARNING
During the 2014-15 school year, SFUSD science teachers and administrators spent over 3000 hours learning about the Next Generation Science Standards through SFUSD Science presentations, centrally offered workshops, and site specific professional development. Interested in learning more about the Next Generation Science Standards and what they mean for SFUSD? Summer is a great time to check out and share the newly launched NGSS section of our website.
Looking for some science reading to do over the summer? All of our spotlights are archived in the SFUSD Science blog on our website.
What is the SFUSD Science Team up to this summer? We are:
- working with Marshall Elementary School, the Exploratorium Institute for Inquiry, and SFUSD Multilingual Pathways to explore English language development through the context of science
- working with middle school teachers to design the first part of the SFUSD Science Core Curriculum for Sixth Grade
- working with high school science teachers to develop a Scope and Sequence for NGSS-Life Science, NGSS-Chemistry, and NGSS-Physics courses
- planning a Secondary Science PD Day for all secondary science teachers on Thursday, August 13th
- attending PDs at the Exploratorium, Cal Academy, and more!
What are you doing this summer to continue to grow as a science teacher? Share it with us via Twitter @SFUSD_Science or use #SFUSDScience in your tweet.
See below for summer science learning opportunities that still have openings. We look forward to working with you and seeing you at science-related learning opportunities this summer!