Coconut Rhinoceros Beetle (CRB), an invasive pest, was detected Dec. 23, 2013 at Joint Base Pearl Harbor – Hickam (JBPHH) on coconut trees. A joint effort between USDA, UH at Manoa, U.S. Navy, HDOA and other partners has mobilized and an Incident Command System (ICS) has been established to respond to this pest emergency.
Please find the latest update below or click to view/download as a Text.PDF or Map.PDF:
Contact Randy Bartlett, CRB Response Liaison Officer, with any questions related to this update, by emailing Randal.T.Bartlett@hawaii.gov, or by calling 808-832-0585
*CRB Response Updates will be sent to the full HISC Listserv, to opt-out of the updates, please respond to this email indicating you do not wish to receive them.
For more information, click on the links below:
October 16-29, 2016
This report uses the best information available at the time of writing and is not an official record of the project. Its purpose is to update partner agencies and concerned individuals about project progress. Questions regarding information in the report can be addressed by calling the project command post at (808) 832-0585. Mahalo.
- On Base (All DOD property on Oahu; including Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam (JBPHH))
- 32 adults detected (of 2,890 adults detected since 12/23/2013).
- Off Base:
- 15 adults detected (of 383 adults detected since 12/23/2013).
- Surveillance & Trapping
- Investigation into possible breeding sites continues within established buffer zones.
- 3,488 trap services conducted on 3,273 total traps during this reporting period.
- New panel traps installed at Laie (1), North Shore (2), Kapolei Golf Course (7), Waianae (7) and Waikele Golf Course (4).
- Mulch/breeding site surveys/resurveys at Pearl City Peninsula (3 larvae, 2 3rd instar, 1 adult), Pearl City Urban Garden, City & County PC Baseyard, Ahuimanu Elementary School – all but PCP negative for CRB.
- Palm trimming/removal inspections conducted at Hawaii Prince Golf Course (1 adult CRB detected) – all others negative for CRB.
- Palm damage survey/resurvey conducted at PC Urban Garden (7 damaged palms), Iroquois Point (41 damaged palms), Laie Shopping Center, Waihuena Farms, and Waikele GC – negative for CRB damage.
- Mitigation & Outreach
- 57 members of the public interacted with in the field during this reporting period.
- 20 public reports responded to during this reporting period.
- 6 businesses were interacted with in the field during this reporting period.
- Presentations made at Campbell High School (185), Kids for a Cause (100), Cub/Boy Scouts (50), Pearl City Urban Garden Master Gardeners (25) and HNL International Airport maintenance crew (15).
- Participated in bi-weekly military updates at JBPH-H and bi-weekly CRB inter-agency meetings.
- Research is still underway to better understand the cyclic nature of weekly, monthly, and annual trap capture rates.
- Beetle Fact
- Key Diagnostics/Identification: CAPS-Approved Method: Morphological.