Coconut Rhinoceros Beetle (CRB), an invasive pest, was detected Dec. 23, 2013 at Joint Base Pearl Harbor – Hickam (JBPHH) on coconut trees. A joint effort between USDA, UH at Manoa, U.S. Navy, HDOA and other partners has mobilized and an Incident Command System (ICS) has been established to respond to this pest emergency.
Contact Randy Bartlett, CRB Response Liaison Officer, with any questions related to this update, by emailing Randal.T.Bartlett@hawaii.gov, or by calling 808-832-0585
*CRB Response Updates will be sent to the full HISC Listserv, to opt-out of the updates, please respond to this email indicating you do not wish to receive them.
For more information, click on the links below:
July 20-31, 2015
- On Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam (JBPH-HI)
- 62 adults/0 larvae detected of 1951 adults/1970 larvae total detected since 12/23/2013.
- Off Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam (JBPH-HI)
- 2 adults/0 larvae detected of 142 adults total detected since 12/23/2013.
- No new delimiting survey barrel traps were placed and 248 trap services were conducted on 145 total barrel traps during this period.
- 9 new delimiting survey panel traps were placed and 2,449 trap services were conducted on 2,831 total panel traps during this period.
- 9 compost/mulch/green waste sites were visually surveyed for CRB presence during this period out of 345 compost/mulch/green waste piles surveyed to date.
- No CRB dead/damaged palms were detected and 0 dead or damaged palms were removed during this period.
- A total of 238 persons were provided outreach information and materials during this reporting period out of a total of 61,313 persons contacted since CRB was first detected on 12/23/2013.
- 7/21/15 – Liaison Officer Randy Bartlett and OSC Kalani Watson attended the Nanakuli-Ma`ili Neighborhood Board meeting and provided an update on the CRB situation on O`ahu.
- 7/23/15 – IC Darcy Oishi and Liaison Officer Randy Bartlett attended the Mikilua Farm Communtiy Association meeting and provided an update on the CRB situation on O`ahu.
- 7/30/15 - – Liaison Officer Randy Bartlett and Kailee Tam attended the Pearl City Neighborhood Board meeting and provided an update on the CRB situation on O`ahu.
- 5 confirmed CRB reports out of 878 reports to date since CRB was first detected was called in to the HDOA’s 643-PEST hotline.
- Beetle Fact: Visual inspection may be used if palms with highly suspect damage and signs of infestation are observed. Oryctes rhinoceros adults bore through developing leaves and cause V-shaped cuts that are very visible and distinctive (A. Moore, 2013, personal communication).
This report uses the best information available at the time of writing and is not an official record of the project. Its purpose is to update partner agencies and concerned individuals about project progress. Questions regarding information in the report can be addressed by calling the project command post at (808) 832-0585. Mahalo.