For the 22nd time, Jolie McInnis proved that she is Laurel Park's heart, soul, and unstoppable force for fun, organizing a wonderful "Tunes in the Park".
The event was held during great weather on Saturday, April 12, and featured the Arthur Z band, a sizable turnout of friends and neighbors, and a lot of great food (turns out many in the neighborhood are great cooks - and those who aren't know where to shop!).
If you see our tired, but happy "pied piper for fun" around the neighborhood, please be sure to extend your thanks to her and her team for all the work they put in in organizing this great event..
On a less happy note...
Sarasota is experiencing a rash of burglaries
Dan Bridinger is our new rep to the Coalition of City Neighborhood Associations (CCNA). He attended his first meeting recently and learned that there has been a significant uptick in residential burglaries of late. Most of the burglaries have occurred in the area of Sarasota south of Fruitville.
The incidents have largely been crimes of opportunity, with the burglars gaining entry through open doors during the day when no one is at home.
The Sarasota police believe that an arrest made yesterday may account for a number of the crimes, but they are still on the lookout for another team of burglars who have been connected to several recent incidents.
Here are some other tips from the Sarasota police:
Most importantly, if you see someone acting suspciously, don't hestitate to report it to 911.
- Make sure all exterior doors have a deadbolt lock - and USE the lock!
- Do NOT store spare keys under doormat, planter, or mailbox (leave them with a trusted neighbor).
- Use timers to turn lights and radios on and off if you are away for an extended period.
- If you have weapons in your home, make sure they are secured in a safe.
- Lock your car doors and chain up bicycles.