Any Australian individual, partnership, company, association, co-operative, statutory corporation or trust that has carried on export promotion activities during the year for which they wish to apply for an export grant.
To be eligible, the business must have:
- income of not more than $50 million in the grant year
- incurred at least $15,000 of eligible export expenses under the scheme (first-time applicants can combine two years expenses)
- principal status for the export business (some exceptions apply, eg. non-profit export focused industry bodies)
The business also must have promoted one of the following:
- the export of goods and most services
- inbound tourism
- the export of intellectual property and know-how
- conferences and events held in Australia
Under Austrade's Export Market Development Grants (EMDG) scheme, certain organisations and groups, who would not otherwise be eligible to apply for a grant under the general provisions of the EMDG Act can obtain approved status to enable them to apply for a grant in their own right. The two categories of approved status available include approval as an Approved Body and Joint Venture.