Readability is one easy-to-test aspect of accessibility.
- Find an app you like and keep using the same one.
- We recommend readability-score.com: easy to use, and can test cut-and-pasted text, URLs and PDF files.
- Don’t use MS Office’s readability checker: it’s deeply flawed.
- Test plain text only. For best results exclude lists, headings, headers, tables.
- Get familiar with one simple test — and use it. Never mind the others.
Let's assume your web site is intended for the general public, not a specialist audience. With the Flesch-Kincaid Reading Ease test, a score of 70 means 70% of adults are likely to understand the text. Under 60 is too difficult, but 100 is not the ideal score: that would suit a kindergarten reader.