Vol. 2 No. 26; July13, 2014
From Juniper OpenLab to Cory Booker with a Look Ahead to TechLaunch Demo Day
- The New Jersey Tech Council said that FDU's James Barood will succeed Maxine Ballen as CEO of that organization.
- Juniper OpenLab hosted students from the Governor's School on Engineering and Technology at its state-of-the-art facility in Bridgewater.
Jerry Passione (R) introduces engineer Lenny Giuliano (L) to talk to students about the engineering life. | Esther Surden
- Students were treated to technology primers on software defined networking and some good job preparation and workplace advice.
- On Friday, NJTechWeekly.com visited Stevens Institute of Technology where Sen. Cory Booker spoke and hosted a series of small business social networking workshops.
Crowd visits booths at the Tech and Social Media Innovation Forum at Stevens | Mark Annett
- Booker talked about the free, good publicity he got for Newark when he was mayor by using social video and Twitter.
Sen. Cory Booker addressed the audience at the Tech and Social Media Innovation conference at Stevens. | Mark Annett
Some upcoming events:
- Small business owners heard from representatives of Google, Facebook and Yelp about how to use their social networks to succeed.
- The third class of TechLaunch startups will present their companies in demonstrations and formal pitches at Demo Day at Montclair State University Monday July 14 at 4 p.m.
- Members of the NJTC will attend that organization's Annual Meeting on July 17. Once again NJTC will be presenting its Tech Talent and Employment Trends Survey.
- Also on July 17, LaunchNJ will hold a "cofounder date night."
- Members who register for the next NJ Tech Meetup with Steve Jacobs, CIO of Gilt on July 22, can get a chance to book 25 min office hours at Mission 50 during the day with David Drahms, a venture partner at Osage Ventures.
A scene from last year's Demo Day | Courtesy TechLaunch
asked the founder of each startup in the LaunchPad 3 class to provide a piece of advice about entering an accelerator. More
Mario Casabona and mentors listen to practice pitches at TechLaunch. | Courtesy TechLaunch
asked TechLaunch LaunchPad3 founders to name an entrepreneurial lesson they had learned during the program. More
Angel investing presentation by Carol Curley | Courtesy TechLaunch
In advance of the seven TechLaunch presentations July 14, 2014,
founders named an entrepreneurial lesson they had learned during the program. More
By John Critelli
Todd Nakamura at the Google I/O Extended NJ conference | John Critelli
The New Jersey tech community got special attention from Google June 25, 2014, when attendees of Google I/O Extended New Jersey
, held on the Montclair State University
campus, participated in a live video chat with Google employees. More
By Mark Annett
The panel at the LaunchNJ Life Sciences Hub | Mark Annett
Launch NJ Life Sciences Hub
’s second gathering brought together a panel of four entrepreneurs that have made the transition from big pharma to the pharma startup world. More
Michael Ehrlich speaking at the Innovation Tech Meetup anniversary | Esther Surden
The Innovation Technology Meetup
at New Jersey Institute of Technology
(NJIT), founded by startup entrepreneur Michael Ligouri, celebrated its first anniversary June 19, 2014. More
Innovation panel at Google I/O | John Critelli
By John Critelli
Business and technical experts gathered at Montclair State University
June 25, 2014, for a panel discussion titled “Navigating Around the Barriers to Innovation in Your Large or Small Company.”
Jersey City Mayor Steven Fulop | Esther Surden
On June 23, 2014, a group of startups with ties to Israel went to Jersey City to pitch their wares at the first Israel Technology Showcase held there. More
Eric Sheninger, a Proponent of Tech in the Classroom, Profiled on NJ Spotlight
International Exposure for the Garden State’s Bio Pharma Industry