Dear Murujuga/Burrup/FARA supporters,
JOIN FARA AT THE GLOBAL CLIMATE STRIKE
FRIDAY 20 SEPTEMBER 11AM-2 PM
AT FORREST PLACE, PERTH
School students around the world are calling on all citizens to walk out of work and join the climate strike on Friday 20 September hosted by School Strike 4 Climate.
‘We need everyone’: Greta Thunberg
Why is Friends of Australian Rock Art (FARA) joining the 20 September Global Climate Strike?
- Uncontrolled greenhouse gas emissions are destroying the global climate and the ancient, irreplaceable rock art of the Burrup Peninsula/Murujuga.
- Recent scientific research has shown that acid levels on the Burrup have risen one thousand fold since large industrial plants began operating on the Burrup Peninsula in the 1980s.
- The current WA Government’s crazed policy of promoting even more industrial expansion in the heart of the world’s oldest and largest rock art gallery means this globally significant cultural site will be exposed to even more massive (and largely unregulated) acidic deposits, which are already damaging the rock art.
- At the same time as claiming to be promoting UNESCO World Heritage listing, the State Government is actively promoting a range of new and highly polluting industries on the Burrup, including the proposed Browse Basin LNG expansion (to be operated by Woodside on behalf of its Joint Venture partners), the Perdaman Chemicals urea project, Coogee Chemicals methanol plant (in partnership with Wesfarmers and Mitsubishi), and Yara Pilbara Nitrates plant (now under reconstruction).
- We say “NO!” to further Burrup industrial expansion and “YES!” to reducing Burrup industrial emissions to zero, so this globally significant cultural heritage site can survive for future generations.
FARA calls on all members and supporters to join us and millions of others around the world on 20 September for the historic Global Climate Strike hosted by School Strike 4 Climate
Where? Forrest Place, Perth; look for the FARA banner at the H & M Building (old GPO) steps.
When? Meet FARA supporters from 10:45 for the main rally from 11am-2pm, Friday 20 September
Not in Perth? See the following link for information on a Global Climate Strike event near you:
School Strike 4 Climate: https://www.schoolstrike4climate.com/sept20
Huge emissions from Woodside’s Burrup gas flare are producing acid rain which is destroying the Burrup rock art
This will be a vital historic day - see you there
Judith Hugo, Co-convenor
Friends of Australian Rock Art