WOOLGROWERS and sheep breeders from across the globe will gather in Adelaide for the inaugural World Merino Insight from September 4-9.
WMI Co-Chair Peter Meyer said the event was for everyone involved in the sheep, sheepmeat and wool industry – not only Merino breeders.
“We have an excellent cross-section of industry showcasing all facets of the Australian sheep sector,” he said.
“It’s a great chance for an in-depth industry insight, from the conference on Tuesday to the innovation day at Murray Bridge, where we have more than 20 trade displays and more than 20 sheep studs from South Australia and interstate displaying livestock.”
Held in and around Adelaide, the six-day program includes a field day, two ram sales, a conference, Royal Adelaide Show access and tours.
Mr Meyer said the event tied in well with the Royal Adelaide Show, and two of the industry’s feature sales, the Classings Classic Merino Ram Sale at Murray Bridge and the SA Stud Merino and Poll Merino Ram Sale at Adelaide.
“There is no better time to be in the sheep industry then at the moment with excellent wool prices and lamb and mutton prices,” he said.
“The Insight is a great event and well worth making the effort to come to.”
So far the event had attracted good interest from overseas, interstate and locally, with Mr Meyer saying it would also allow fantastic opportunities to network with industry leading speakers and producer delegates from across the world.
World Merino Insight Program
Day one: Sunday, September 4
World Merino Insight Welcome Reception, sponsored by Rabobank
• Delegates from all over the globe will converge on Hilton Adelaide for the official opening of the 2016 World Merino Insight.
Day two: Monday, September 5
The Thomas Foods International Merino Industry Innovation Day, including the Classings Classic Sale
• Buses will take registered delegates to the field-day at Murray Bridge.
• Features more than 60 trade and livestock exhibitors from across Australia
• Classings Classic sale
Day three: Tuesday, September 6
Global Merino Unity Conference, sponsored by Australian Wool Innovation
• Marina Selionova, Director, Russian Science and Research Institution of Sheep
• Jimmy Jackson, General Manager, The Woolmark Company and AWI
• Sam Gill, Meat & Livestock Australia
• Roseville Park’s Matthew Coddington
• Georgia Twomey, Commodity Analyst, Food & Agribusiness Research and Advisory, Rabobank
• David McKay, Chief Operating Officer, Thomas Foods International
• Richard Loe, former NZ All Blacks player and farmer
• International panel of speakers from Uruguay, Russia, South Africa and New Zealand
• Conference dinner with special guest Sam Kekovich, Australia’s Lambassador
Day four: Wednesday, September 7
• Visit the Royal Adelaide Show
• View the judging of the Rabobank Feature breed – the Merino Sheep – classes
• Royal Adelaide Show Welcome Luncheon
• Rabobank Feature Breed Social function
• Option to partake in a behind-the-scene tours of the show
Day five: Thursday, September 8
• Industry Tour: Visit the Michell Wool Processing Facility, have lunch in the beautiful Barossa Valley, tour a working Merino farm and visit a local wildlife park with Australian native animals
• Or, visit the Royal Adelaide Show for a second day, highlights in the Stud Sheep Pavilion include the judging of the Merino and Poll Merino Fibre Meat Class, the Supreme Champion and other Merino and Poll Merino competition trophies, and the opening of inspections for the SA Merino and Poll Merino Ram Sale.
Day six: Friday, September 9
• SA Stud Merino and Poll Merino Ram Sale at the Royal Adelaide Show, where 100 of the world’s best Merino and Poll Merino rams will be offered for sale in an action-packed auction.
Early-bird registrations for the World Merino Insight close on June 30.
Visit www.worldmerinoinsight.com.au or contact Emma at 08 8125 2200 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Peter Meyer, World Merino Insight Co-Chair, 08 8846 2077, 0408 089 669 or email@example.com