March 23 LFMP Program
You’ve seen – and represented – them both: the attorney who is cocky, bordering on reckless when dealing with journalists, and the lawyer who is too media-shy for his/her own good. Once you’ve landed the interview for your lawyers, the next step is to prepare them to be helpful to journalists and to walk the fine line between being unduly reticent and overly aggressive. Toward that end:
Panel discussion on training lawyers to be good interviewees and how to make the most of interview opportunities, including:
- Best practices/pet peeves
- Value of backgrounders
- Managing expectations on both sides
- On the record vs. off the record vs. background interviews
Thursday, March 23, 6:30-8pm
- Ari Melber, MSNBC Chief Legal Correspondent
- Patricia Hurtado, Bloomberg Brooklyn Federal court reporter
- Daniel Fetterman, Kasowitz white collar partner/former SDNY prosecutor
- Peter Pochna, EVP/Rubenstein legal group head
- Dave Brooks, McCarter & English (moderator)
825 Eighth Avenue
(entrance west of 50th street and 8th Avenue facing courtyard – “Rubenstein” listed at security desk)
Please RSVP below to save the date. Space permitting, we will be in touch to confirm your attendance.
Well, if you missed it, you missed the brilliant Peter Shankman, not just on social media, but how to be heard, and how to be decent, in a maddening, ever noisier environment. Great, wudn't he?
Thanks to Peter for an hour of battling the world's worst virus, and to Emily Lattal and O'Melveny for hosting us and feeding us sumptuously.
East Coast law firm with approximately 300 attorneys in eleven offices in Boston, Connecticut, Florida, New Jersey, New York and Washington, D.C., has an immediate opening for a Communications Manager to oversee both the firm's internal communications efforts and media relations activities. The position can be based in New York, NY, Parsippany, NJ, Stamford, CT or Hartford, CT, and reports to the Chief Business Development and Marketing Manager.
- Develops and maintains relationships with media and serves as the firm's primary media contact.
- Develops and maintains a directory of lawyers identified as media spokespersons for the firm, its practices and offices.
- Manages the firm's public relations agency and Chambers & Partners awards consultant.
- Evaluates and recommends PR-related vendors and products, including software.
- Works with Business Development Managers and the firm's PR agency to develop and implement regional and practice-focused PR plans.
- Creates reports for Marketing Manager to update partner on external communications efforts and ROI.
- Works with firm management in all crisis communications efforts.
- Provides media coaching and training to attorneys and firm management.
- Oversees the preparation, approval and distribution of firm press releases as well as rankings, directory, survey and awards submissions.
- Assists attorneys with editing and placing bylined articles in key legal, trade and business publications.
- Proactively seeks opportunity to publicize the firm and develops relationships between firm spokespersons and reporters.
- Notifies attorneys when they are in the media. Writes internal portal and web posts as requested.
- Assists attorneys with social media as requested.
- Assists attorneys with lining up speaking engagements, webcasts and assists them with collecting the materials.
- Assist with internal communications such as writing emails, new attorney announcements, branding materials and marketing materials as needed.
- BS/BA degree.
- 10 years of professional experience, with 5+ years in public relations.
- Experience in a fast-moving and demanding environment. Professional services experience preferred; law firm experience a plus.
- Excellent written, verbal and presentation skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills, diplomacy and tact.
- Proactive, well-organized and pays close attention to detail and accuracy.
- Proficiency in all Microsoft Office applications and key media/industry research tools.
A Match Recruiting
The New York office of a prestigious global law firm, has an immediate opening for a Communications Assistant who will work closely with the marketing team members and lawyers to support the firm’s full spectrum of content, media and other related marketing, branding and reputational activities.
Duties include, but are not limited to, the following: assist with administrative work, organizing, drafting and editing, maintain various communications calendars, social media, assist with managing internal blog, coordinate article reprint process and promote exposure to practice group and individual attorneys internally. In order to be successful in this role, candidates must be a self-starter who is able to work in a demanding, project-based environment, ability to multi-task, problem solve, work well under pressure and coordinate sophisticated marketing programs with good results, and excellent communication skills both written and verbal. The Assistant must also be assertive, but flexible as to style; must be able to handle stressful situations and interact with various personalities and communication styles at all levels in the organization. Professional presentation and demeanor is required at all times.
Candidates must have a minimum of two (2) years prior experience in a marketing or PR and communications field in the Legal or Professional Services industries, and a Bachelor's Degree is preferred in Business, English, Marketing, Communications or related field. The ideal candidate will have strong MS office skills, extraordinary attention to detail, and excellent oral and written communication skills. Mt client offers a competitive compensation and excellent benefits package.
A Match Recruiting
Public Relations Coordinator – New York (Goodwin)
Reporting to the Communications Manager, the Public Relations Coordinator (“Coordinator”) actively supports Goodwin’s external communications strategy and media initiatives. Working closely with the Communications Manager and team, the Coordinator is involved in the planning and execution of impactful media campaigns in the U.S., Europe and Asia.
Primary Job Responsibilities:
- Works with the Communications Manager to research media opportunities on topics that align with Goodwin’s core practice areas and industry strengths.
- Prepares initial draft s of press releases, external website news items and other communications materials.
- Work with the Communications Manager to develop content, copy edit and coordinate publishing for the firm’s website and other digital platforms.
- Supports the processes of survey submissions and award nominations, including maintaining internal awards calendar and evaluating new surveys and award opportunities.
- Maintain editorial calendars for press engagement.
- Assist with establishment of metrics and feedback mechanisms to measure the success of communication strategies and tactics.
- Develop working knowledge of department systems and tools including SharePoint, SiteCore, Interaction, PhotoShop HootSuite, etc. to support required activities.
- Undertake other communications activities as required by business circumstances and requested by the Communications Manager.
Please apply online at: http://www.goodwinlaw.com/job-opportunities/ny-staff-public-relations-coordinator
- 2+ years corporate communication or journalism experience, preferably in a legal or professional services environment.
- Project management experience with multi-faceted written projects, and experience working with layers of approval in a matrixed organization.
- A foundation in press relations; excellent writing, editing and communication skills.
- High attention to detail.
- Ability to work with a variety of people and projects under hard deadlines.
- Ability to learn and utilize new and emerging technology.
- Willingness to travel to other offices as required.
- BA, BS or equivalent.
Recognition and Awards Manager (Jones Day)
Working with a newly established global working group of lawyers and business development professionals, the Manager of Recognition & Awards will have overall responsibility for the strategic approach and development of submissions in targeted lawyer directories (such as Chambers and Legal 500), as well as select lists, rankings, and awards published by varying news organizations and other publications deemed of value to the Firm.
The Manager of Recognition and Awards is expected to perform all job duties with a commitment to providing superior service to clients, producing quality work products, and maintaining an atmosphere of teamwork and continuous improvement. Above all, the Manager of Recognition and Awards must fulfill the needs of the Office in a manner which is consistent with the Firm’s visions and values.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
ESSENTIAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Develop, lead and improve the standardization of submissions that communicate the Firm's capabilities with the objective of increasing the rankings, visibility, and recognition earned for the Firm and its lawyers
- Ensure editorial integrity and quality in lawyer directory submissions – consistent with best practices -- to optimize rankings
- Analyze results, performance, year-on-year trends, and communicate the results for internal and external audiences as applicable
- Collaborate with applicable Firm leaders, partners, and staff to develop and draft compelling submissions
- Develop a strategy and manage a process for maximum leverage of client references ("referees"), calendaring, organizing, tracking, and communicating deadlines
- Ensure that the Firm is maximizing its opportunities by being inclusive of all relevant matters by: focusing on submissions of value, and making recommendations on which submissions to pursue and filter
- Managing a dedicated team to achieve results by communicating job expectations; planning, monitoring, and appraising results; and creating, coordinating, and enforcing systems, policies, procedures, and standards for quality and completion
- Build and maintain relationships with lawyer directory editorial and research directors to glean relevant intelligence and other pertinent information about new listings, improvement techniques, etc
- Identifying and optimizing processes to efficiently and effectively organize and re-purpose quality submissions from one publisher submission to another
EDUCATIONAL/JOB EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS:
- Deep knowledge of practices and matters common in a global law firm
- Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of research and editorial process for lawyer directories, as well as experience in submitting to other legal or professional industry rankings, lists, and awards
- Excellent written and oral communications skills, and outstanding editorial skills with demonstrated experience in boiling down complex matters into persuasive written descriptions.
- Strong interpersonal communication skills to develop and maintain working relationships with Firm leaders, lawyers, staff, as well as editorial and research directors.
- Excellent judgment and common sense
- Experience managing global teams to include coaching, mentoring, counseling, and developing individuals to their maximum performance; and fostering a spirit of teamwork, unity, and cohesiveness
- Demonstrated leadership skills with ability to work in a fast paced environment, both independently and collaboratively
- Excellent organizational skills, attention to detail, and ability to multi-task and manage competing deadlines
This position can be filled in Atlanta, Boston, Chicago, Cleveland, New York or Washington, D.C.
- Four-year college degree in Journalism, Public Relations, Communications, Marketing, or English. Advanced degree (MBA, MA, MS, JD) a plus
- Experience developing and producing submissions to lawyer directories and other news organization lists and awards, and/or reviewing and ranking firms for such lists based on incoming submissions
- Experience in a legal directory environment in a research or editorial capacity, and/or within a legal or professional services environment working with practices in a business development, marketing, or communications capacity
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite. Knowledge of LexTrack and/or other database programs preferred
- Ability to speak, write, and read English fluently; second language fluency a plus
Jones Day is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer
Apply here: https://staffapply.jonesday.com/viRecruitSelfApply/ReDefault.aspx?Tag=E4737CF53A194E20B2E9247B377258A4
Communications Coordinator - Cooley LLP
The New York office of Cooley LLP has an immediate opening for a Communications Coordinator who will work closely with the marketing team members and lawyers to support Cooley's full spectrum of content, media and other related marketing, branding and reputational activities.
Duties include, but are not limited to the following: assist with administrative work, including organizing, drafting and editing, maintaining various communications calendars, maintaining social media, assisting with the management of our internal blog, coordinating the article reprint process and promoting exposure to practice group and individual attorneys internally. In order to be successful in this role, candidates must be self-starters who are able to work in a demanding, project-based environment, have the ability to multi-task, problem solve, work well under pressure and coordinate sophisticated marketing programs with good results. Candidates should also have excellent communication skills, both written and verbal. The Coordinator must also be assertive, but flexible as to style, and must be able to handle stressful situations and interact with various personalities and communication styles at all levels in the organization. Professional presentation and demeanor is required at all times.
Candidates must have a minimum of two years prior experience in a marketing or PR and communications field in the Legal or Professional Services industries, and a Bachelor's Degree is preferred in Business, English, Marketing, Communications, Journalism or related field. The ideal candidate will have strong MS office skills, extraordinary attention to detail, and excellent oral and written communication skills.
A cover letter must be submitted with resume. Cooley offers a competitive compensation and excellent benefits package. EOE.
Public Relations Senior Specialist – Dechert LLP (New York)
The Public Relations Senior Specialist will assist the Public Relations Manager and Director of Communications to execute a proactive media relations program for the firm’s U.S. practice and individual lawyers. Collaborates with partners, U.S. marketing managers to implement institutional and targeted industry/practice media plans with reach to the legal, general, business, trade and web press. The PR Senior Specialist will also assist with newsletters and other writing projects as needed.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Within the context of business and marketing plans, implement media strategies that reflect the firm’s brand and positioning, disseminate key messages, and achieve the media coverage goals of the firm and practice groups.
- Research media markets via geography, industry and medium as necessary.
- Act as a point of contact with the press.
- Coordinate interviews and meetings with reporters and lawyers.
- Routinely meet and interact with members of the press to establish and maintain key working relationships.
- Position Dechert lawyers as “legal experts” for use by media.
- Actively generate and seek story ideas and pitch to local and national legal, general business and trade press
- Investigate story angles to improve newsworthiness of routine firm developments (e.g., office opening, big win, new partners).
- Write press releases, pitch letters and other publicity copy.
- Monitor advertising calendars of relevant publications and communicate/recommend opportunities.
- Advise lawyers and other Dechert personnel on press response techniques.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Maintain various dechert.com Web pages, particularly those pertaining to news.
- Assist with effective media tracking.
- Assist with the supervision of the firm’s Public Relations Intern.
- Lead the production of internal magazine, including developing story ideas, drafting and editing articles, coordinating production schedules, and coordinating with outside vendors as appropriate.
- Assist with editing copy for firm collateral.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Superior oral and written communication skills.
- Knowledge of AP Style and the ability to learn and apply the firm’s writing style guide.
- Proven ability to deal with complex subject matter – preferably legal or financial.
- Knowledge of the firm’s policies and procedures.
- Detail-oriented and organized.
- Ability to prioritize and coordinate own work.
- Good interpersonal skills.
- Polite, professional, positive, and collaborative manner.
- Good grammar, vocabulary, reading comprehension.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Ability to learn new skills as they become necessary.
- Ability to function in a collaborative organization and be a team player.
- College degree with an emphasis on communications, journalism, public relations, or English.
- Experience with media placement required, broadcast placement experience preferred
- 5 years relevant experience.
- Understanding of legal industry preferred.
Dechert LLP is committed to ensuring equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination. The Firm prohibits unlawful discrimination in any term or condition of employment against any employee or applicant for employment because of the individual’s race, color, creed, religion, sex, age, marital status, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information, disability, membership or service in the armed forces, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Awards & Rankings Specialist - New York or Boston (Goodwin)
Goodwin is hiring an Awards & Rankings Specialist (“Specialist”) in its Communications Team in either New York or Boston. This newly created role reports to the Managing Director of Communications and leads Goodwin’s awards and rankings initiatives globally. The Specialist will work directly with the firm’s partners, fellow marketing department colleagues and senior members of the professional staff to develop and track a global awards and rankings calendar, create award-winning submissions, and manage the firm’s legal directories process.
Primary Job Responsibilities:
- Create and manage a global awards and rankings calendar that tracks relevant recognitions at the firmwide, practice group, and individual level.
- Provide counsel on which opportunities to pursue, and how best to approach particular nominations.
- Working directly with the nominees, lead the creation of award-winning submissions.
- Manage the firm’s global legal directories submissions process, primarily focused on Chambers and Legal 500.
- Partnering with the business development teams (which craft the firm’s legal directories submissions), lead management of the submissions process and ensure adherence to deadlines.
- Create and communicate global best practices and strategy for the firm’s legal directories initiatives.
- Draft and edit Goodwin firm profiles in the relevant rankings and directories.
- As applicable, manage contracts and billing for awards, rankings and legal directories.
Please apply online at:
- 4+ years of corporate communications (preferably in the legal/professional services sector) or journalism experience.
- Excellent writing and editing skills; effective communication and presentation skills.
- Strong interview skills; ability to create compelling storylines for award-winning submissions based on interviews with subject matter experts about complex matters.
- Ability and willingness to build strong relationships and navigate across a matrixed organization.
- Strong project management and process implementation skills.
- Strong basic software and research skills.
- Impeccable attention to detail.
- Good design sensibility for project presentation; high proficiency in PowerPoint or other presentation software.
- BA, BS or equivalent; Master’s degree a plus.
- Travel to other firm offices, as needed but not frequent.
Public Relations & Communications Coordinator - Cravath (New York)
Overview: The PR & Communications Coordinator will work closely with members of the Business Development department to execute tasks focused on PR-related activity for the Litigation Department, as well as Corporate PR-activity.
This position is located in our New York office. We offer a competitive salary and excellent benefits including medical, dental, vision care, 401(k) and health club privileges.
Responsibilities: Fielding and responding to press inquires; writing and issuing announcements; introducing Partners to reporters, with support to include preparing background on reporters, arranging meeting logistics and facilitating introduction and follow up; pitching Partners for speaking opportunities at conferences; enhancing the Firm’s presence on social media, including LinkedIn and Twitter; identifying new story ideas and opportunities for Partners to speak with reporters on relevant market developments; monitoring editorial and conference calendars for press and speaking opportunities for Partners; researching incoming reporter inquiries and speaking engagement opportunities and presenting recommendations to Partners; maintaining contact with various reporters and conference organizations and assisting in the development and coordination of press meetings and speaking engagements; assisting in the preparation of Firm press mentions for daily circulation to Partners and Firm Twitter mentions to senior management; serving as point person for photography and video shoots, working closely with other Firm departments, as well as outside vendors, on arrangements; providing material for the Firm’s internal newsletter; and performing other duties as assigned.
Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree required, preferably in Business, Marketing or Communications, writing-intensive majors are a plus; 2+ years of work experience, preferably in a legal or professional services environment; experience utilizing and implementing social media tools for PR; ability to organize and prioritize multiple projects with challenging deadlines; ability to write clearly and concisely with consideration of the audience; excellent oral and written communication skills; excellent attention to detail; highly professional and discreet; solution-oriented approach to problem-solving; strong focus on client service and responsiveness; and willingness to work overtime as needed.
To Apply: https://careers-cravath.icims.com/jobs/1931/public-relations-%26-communications-coordinator/job
Public Relations Specialist
Our international Law Firm client is seeking to recruit a Public Relations Specialist to serve as a key member of the firm's external communications team in the US. Additionally, the incumbent will support internal communications, strategic marketing projects and Latin America regional external communications and media relations.
- Conduct media relations, external communications and reputation positioning for the firm's US and Latin America practices
- Assist with positioning the firm's Americas practice globally
- Advise partners and business management on media strategy and marketing communications execution
- Directly impact the execution of practice communications strategy and media positioning in the region
- Play a key role in designing, implementing and executing media relations strategy in the region
- Promote targeted news opportunities and thought leadership campaigns supporting the firm's business development strategic marketing efforts in the region
- Provide media training and prepare attorney's for interviews
- Investigate and secure media and publishing opportunities for attorneys
- Act as the main contact for press inquiries in the Americas region
- Promote the firm's strengths and accomplishments through a variety of media outlets
Qualified candidates can submit their resumes directly to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Bachelor's Degree in Marketing or Journalism preferred
- Approximately 5 years of external communications and media relations experience
- Prior media relations experience at a law firm, global professional services organization or multinational corporation
- Superb communication, interpersonal and presentation skills
- Calm, mature and motivated with proven ability to work well under pressure and perform crisis management
- Advanced writing skills with ability to translate complex information into commercial messaging
- Technically proficient
- Spanish and/or Portuguese fluency highly desirable
Fusion Staffing Partners
47 Maple Street, Suite L-10
Summit, NJ 07901
Mid-Level Media Relations Professional (U.S.)
newsPRos, a national public relations agency representing the legal industry, higher education, business, not-for-profits and the healthcare sector seeks mid-level media relations professional with 5 plus years of experience. The position can be located anywhere in the U.S. Individual must be a self-starter and able to work in a fast paced ever changing work environment. Must have demonstrated success in obtaining placements in major media outlets, ability to make judgment calls and an understanding, appreciation of and ability to work with extremely busy people are required skills for success in this position. You will be part of a national team supporting the firm’s varied clients’ in the U.S.
For newsPRos law firm clients:
For all clients:
- you will work directly with partners and practice group leaders to identify trends, keep on top of upcoming transactions, litigation, regulatory changes for media outreach
- Every day you will draft pitches, identify the appropriate media outlets and reporters to pitch
- Prepare lawyers for media interviews
- Maintain current relationships with regional and national media contacts
Firm provides competitive salaries, profit sharing, healthcare and other benefits. Please send cover letter and resume with salary requirements to email@example.com. For more on newsPRos go to www.newspros.com.
- Ability to juggle multiple projects, track and follow through on long range projects, change gears quickly
- Develop thought leadership media strategy
- Aggressively pursue media opportunities, create and maintain reporter relationships
- Place bylined articles
- Track editorial calendars and maintain reporter database
- Follow the news closely in your areas of responsibility and respond quickly to breaking news to obtain media placements
- Need to be independent and display sound judgment and professionalism