October 10, 2014
Xofigo Temporarily Unavailable
Bayer Healthcare has informed the PCRI that access to Xofigo (radium 223) (an injectable form of radiation that specifically targets bone metastases) will be unavailable while the company runs quality control tests. The company hopes to have the problem resolved, and production back up to full speed soon. There is no definite word yet on when Xofigo will be fully available again.
- Xofigo (radium 223) treatments are expected to be unavailable to patients until at least October 24, 2014. This is subject to change.
- There are NO quality control concerns for patients who have already received Xofigo treatment.
- In the radium 223 trial (ALSYMPCA), about 30% of patients had a delay somewhere in their treatment schedule. Some delays were as long as 4 weeks. But an ad hoc analysis showed no impact on overall survival in the patients who experienced the delays.
- Bayer has set up a 24/7 phone number that patients can call with questions. You can speak to a Bayer representative at (888) 842-2937-1.
- PCRI's Senior Educational Facilitator, Jan Manarite, will also take or return your calls. You can reach her home office at (239) 208-4400.