|Welcome to the November 2016 edition of The CHANGE Project newsletter! In this edition you'll find information about a range of free and low-cost healthy living services across the Toowoomba region, including:
- Healthy Living Hero: PERMA - The 5 Pillars for Wellbeing
- Healthy Habits 4-Week Challenge
- NEW Low-Cost Activities
- Seed to Feed & Family Foodies Goombungee
- Healthy & Active Directory
- Other Community Initiatives
- Recipe of the Month
Healthy Living Hero: PERMA - The 5 Pillars for Wellbeing
Wellbeing - if feels great, but what exactly is it? If you're like most people, wellbeing means being happy and healthy, feeling pleasure and being satisfied with life. And while there's no doubt that feeling good is a component of wellbeing, there's actually a lot more to it.
One theory of wellbeing comes from the discipline of positive psychology, where research has shown there are five pillars underpinning our wellbeing and happiness - Positive emotion, Engagement, Relationships, Meaning and Accomplishment, known as PERMA:
- Positive emotion: The ability to embrace life with optimism, which doesn’t mean no ups and downs but an overall ability to bounce back and view life positively, enjoying a full range of positive emotions including joy, enjoyment and gratitude.
- Engagement: Being involved in activities, often the ones that we love doing or those that utilise our strengths, that transport us and absorb us makes for a deeper more interesting life.
- Relationships: Our connections to other people – partner, friends, family, boss, colleagues, children and/or community – help buoy us and give us a sense of being loved and secure.
- Meaning: Feeling that what we do or what we are working towards matters, not just to us but to others and in the wider scheme of things, gives meaning to our lives.
- Accomplishment – Being able to set and achieve goals and enjoy some mastery and control over our lives has shown to help us derive a sense of purpose from life.
Healthy Habits 4 Week Challenge
Have you registered for the exciting new Healthy Habits 4 Week Challenge starting next Monday? Don't worry there's still time to reserve your place, but hurry as limited spots are available!
- FREE 4-week online program
- Health and wellbeing experts at your fingertips
- Free health check, and emails, blogs, videos and podcasts to meet your health needs
Plus Healthy Habits participants are awarded points for each health challenge completed, and are eligible to enter the draw to win a $250 Healthy & Active pack if they reach points targets.
Contact Council on 131 872 or email@example.com
to register your interest in being a Healthy Habits course participant.
New Free & Low Cost Activities
With the weather warming up, now's the perfect time to head down to the park and have a go at a new Active Parks activity near you:
- $3, Healthy Mind Happy Bodies, Tue 6pm, Black Gully Park
- $3 Back to Basics Bootcamps (for Beginners), Sun 6pm, Black Gully Park & Highfields Sport & Recreation Park
- $3 Teen Fitness, Tue 3:30pm, Highfields Sport & Recreation Park
To book or find out more about these and other free and low cost activities click here
Seed to Feed & Family Foodies Goombungee
$5 Seed to Feed
- 9am, Sat 26 November, Goombungee Hall
Come along to a Seed to Feed workshop by Brian Sams to learn about growing fruit and veg from what you may already have, or from what neighbours might share with you! Workshops cover seed-saving, DIY propagation, creating your own mini-greenhouse and fertilisers.
Everyone who attends a Seed to Feed workshop during 2016-17 goes into the draw to win a veggie patch boost by Brian Sams!
To book or find out more about Seed to Feed workshops click here
(click on grow your own food workshops)
FREE Family Foodies
- 9:30am, Sat 10 December, Goombungee Hall
Come along to a Family Foodies workshop by a nutritionist to learn about healthy eating and developing cooking skills together with your family.
These fun and interactive workshops focus on learning about energy needs, food choices, establishing healthy habits and making fruit kebabs together.
Everyone who attends receives a free healthy eating booklet and can join the Family Foodies online community to connect with others and access support by the nutritionist after the workshop.
To book or find out more about Family Foodies click here
(click on healthy cooking workshops)
Healthy & Active Directory 2016-17
Got your copy of the Healthy & Active Directory 2016-17 yet? It's jam packed with nearly 100 free and low-cost walking and running groups, group fitness classes, seniors exercise, mum & bub fitness, meditation sessions, yoga and kids activities held across the Toowoomba Region each week. Plus there's family nutrition classes (during school holidays), fruit and veg workshops, online healthy living courses and more!
Get your free copy by calling 131 872 or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
Other Community Initiatives
Youth Connect Skateboarding Workshops & Competitions
Get together with friends and join a skateboarding workshop! Workshops are being held across the region for young people of all skill levels. Workshops will finish with a mini comp encouraging participants to show off their skills.
The next workshop will be held on 13 November at the Yarraman Skate Park, with the mini comp held on 19 November.
For more information call 131 872 or visit Facebook/YouthConnectTRC
Movember is a movement for men's health, and in 13 years has funded more than 1,200 men's health projects around the world. Each year Mo Bros and Mo Sistas rally to support the cause, get people talking and raise funds for men's health projects.
Click here to join the Movember movement, support the cause or find out more
VicHealth Healthy Living Apps 2016
Which apps are right for you? To help people find effective healthy living apps, VicHealth has reviewed and rated over 300 healthy living apps to create the Healthy Living App Guide 2016.
Whether you're looking for an app to help with eating more healthily, being more physically active, quitting smoking, drinking less alcohol or improving mental wellbeing, check out the VicHealth Healthy Living App Guide 2016 to find an app that's effective and right for you!
Click here to view the VicHealth Healthy Living App Guide 2016
Recipe of the Month - Healthy Burgers
Preparation 15 minutes, serves 4
- 400g lean beef mince
- 1 small brown onion, finely diced
- 2 tablespoons fresh herbs, chopped or 2 teaspoons dried mixed herbs
- 1 carrot, grated
- 1 zucchini, grated
- 1 egg, lightly whisked
- 1 tablespoon olive or canola oil
- 4 wholegrain bread rolls, sliced in half
- 2 tomatoes, sliced
- 4 slices beetroot (tinned)
- 4 slices low fat cheese or 50g grated low fat cheese
- 8 leaves of iceberg lettuce, shredded
- 2 tablespoons of chutney or relish
Recipe courtesy of Healthier Happier (State Government). Click here for more Healthier Happier recipes
- Place beef mince, onion, carrot, zucchini and herbs with egg in large bowl. Gently combine and shape into four hamburgers.
- Preheat BBQ or grill on medium high heat. Brush both sides of the hamburger with oil and cook for 4 – 5 minutes on each side or until cooked through.
- Place lettuce, tomato, beetroot and carrot on bottom half of bread roll, top with hamburger, cheese and chutney or relish and top half of bread roll.
To participate in or find out more about any CHANGE Project activities contact Council on 131 872 or www.tr.qld.gov.au/change
or email email@example.com