|Welcome to the July 2016 edition of The CHANGE Project newsletter! In this edition you'll find information about a range of free and low-cost healthy living services across the Toowoomba region, including:
- Healthy Living Hero: Join the Movement
- Have your say to win a Fitbit!
- Happy 2nd Birthday Pittsworth parkrun
- Meditation is the new black
- New and Improved CHANGE Project website
- NEW Free and Low Cost Activities
- FREE Launch Event - Mumma's Pilates, Little Yogies & More!
- NEW Family Foodies - schools, child-care centres and playgroups wanted
- Walk of the Winter Chill and Win
- Other Community Initiatives - Skateboarding workshops, Beginner BMX & 2016 Run Ride Race for Research
- Recipe of the Month
Healthy Living Hero: Join the Movement
Encouraging lifelong participation in sport and active recreation is vital to the overall health and wellbeing of women and girls. Plus, it’s fun! Join the Movement
is an initiative of the Queensland Government, which like the This Girl Can
(UK) and Girls Make Your Move
(Aus) initiatives before it, aims to change the perception of exercise and make physical activity inviting, exciting, energising and inclusive with all the benefits that come along with it.
If you're looking for some inspiration to get moving, check out these short video stories
for tips on how Queensland women are fitting activity into their lives - with their babies and children, or on the farm, at any age - and in ways most helpful to them - with friends, powered by music, or by trying something new.
There's also tips before getting started, making a moving pledge and developing an activity planner, plus blogs on setting successful goals, fitting fitness into busy lives and the must of movement for everyone.
Check out Join the Movement to find inspirational ideas and helpful tips to get you moving today!
Have your say to win a Fitbit!
Have you had your say on The CHANGE Project yet? The Project survey has been extended until 31 August 2016, so there's still time to share how the Project can help change your food, exercise and life in the future.
Everyone who completes our survey by 31 August 2016 can go into the draw to WIN a Fitbit Flex valued at $129.95
! To complete the survey:
- Click on the link below
- Register on the 'Your Say' website (registering provides you the opportunity to have your say on a range of Council projects and activities - you can deregister at anytime)
- Complete the survey
Survey Link: yoursay.tr.qld.gov.au/change
Thank you to everyone who has completed the survey to-date. Winners of the 5 x $50 Healthy & Active Packs have been drawn.
Congratulations to some of our winners (pictured below with Cr McDonald and Cr Ramia).
Happy 2nd Birthday Pittsworth parkrun
Join us in celebrating Pittsworth parkrun's 2nd birthday at the Pittsworth Showgrounds (meet at the canteen) from 6:50am this Saturday 9th July 2016.
Bring the whole family (including your dogs) to walk, run, skip or hop your way along the 5km parkrun route. Be brave and rock it in your 80’s gear for your chance to win a prize! Tea and coffee available for $2.
For more information contact Jamie on 0437 210 572 or email@example.com
Meditation is the new black
It seems there's hardly an elite athlete, celebrity, a friend, or your neighbour's sister's son who isn't meditating these days. And that's probably because there's a large and growing body of research finding people who meditate regularly report improved attention and concentration, reduced levels of anxiety, and an overall improved sense of well-being. And these benefits seem to be felt after a relatively short amount of practice.
So while it's not a panacea, there's certainly a lot of evidence that it may do some good for those who practice it regularly. Have you tried it yet? If you'd like to give it a go why not check out the FREE meditation sessions each Tuesday at the Toowoomba City Library, or on Wednesday evenings at the Bernoth Centre.
Click here for further information about the FREE meditation classes
New and Improved CHANGE Project site
The CHANGE Project website has been revamped to make finding free and low-cost activities and healthy living resources much easier.
From workshops on growing food and cooking healthy meals, a range of fitness classes and activities for kids, to healthy living links, videos, services and apps - it's all at your fingertips at The CHANGE Project site.
You can now even click and download a printable copy of all the free and low cost activities available (which is updated regularly)!
Click here to check out our revamped site
or click here to download the activity directory
NEW Free & Low Cost Activities
A range of new free and low cost activities have commenced across the region to help residents lead active and healthy lifestyles:
- Laser Skirmish Fitness – $3, Thu (fortnightly), 4pm, Tobruk Memorial Drive Park, Toowoomba
- FREE Fitness Class (TRIAL EVENT) - Thu 5:30pm, 4 August 2016, Toowoomba City Library
- Shred and Shed Bootcamps – $5, Thu 6:15pm, Humeridge Church basketball courts (461 Hume St, Toowoomba)
- Rugbytots (ages 2-7yrs) - $3, Mon 9am, Queens Park (Lindsay St), Toowoomba
- Boxing - $3, Mon 4:15pm, Picnic Point, Toowoomba (meet at the Rotunda)
Launch Event - Mumma's Pilates, Little Yogies & More!
Shelley Myatt Fitness & Well-Being recently joined The CHANGE Project offering Mumma's Pilates and Little Yogies classes
(4-12yrs) each Tuesday at 4pm in Toowoomba. Classes are run concurrently so kids can exercise at the same time as mum, or kids can participate while mums catch up with other mums over a tea or coffee.
Check out these and other activities at the free launch event this Sunday 10 July 2016 from 2pm to 4pm. To RSVP or find out more contact Shelley on 0409 581 616 or firstname.lastname@example.org
NEW Family Foodies - schools, child-care centres and playgroups wanted
Council is developing a new family nutrition program planned to be trialled in playgroups, child care / early learning centres, primary and high schools, and within communities during 2016-17. Family Foodies will provide workshops by an accredited Nutritionist at your centre for families enrolled with your centre along with families living nearby.
Some workshops will require children and their parents/guardians to attend, and support from your centre may be required to assist with delivery. It is anticipated each workshop will be able to support 30 participants (plus parents/guardians), with online support provided after the workshops.
Register your centre's interest or find out more by emailing email@example.com
Walk of the Winter Chill and Win
Heart Foundation Walking is a FREE program and is open to all ages and abilities. To join all you need is a comfortable pair of shoes.
Register for one of the Heart Foundation FREE walking groups (or become a Virtual Walker) by 31 August 2016, and you will be eligible to win one of two Heart Foundation Walking Winter Warmer packs valued over $70 each!
Click here to find a walking group near you
Terms and conditions apply. For full details of participation contact firstname.lastname@example.org
or 1300 36 27 87.
Other Community Initiatives
Youth Connect Skateboarding Workshops & Mini Comps
Get together with friends and join a skateboarding workshop! Workshops are being held across the region for young people of all skill levels. Workshops will finish with a mini comp encouraging participants to show off their skills.
The next workshop will be held this Sunday 10 July at the Pittsworth Skate Park, with the mini comp on 17 July. Workshops will also be held at the Wilsonton Skate Park on 24 and 31 July, with the mini comp on 7 August. Additional workshops and mini comps will also be held in Toowoomba, Crows Nest and Yarraman.
For more information call 131 872, like Facebook/YouthConnectTRC
or click here to visit the Youth Connect webpage
FREE Beginner BMX (5-15yrs)
Ever wanted to try BMX? Give it a go at the weekly, FREE beginner BMX sessions held each Wednesday, 5pm to 5:30pm at Captain Cook Reserve, Toowoomba.
Sessions include getting comfortable with your bike and an introduction to the BMX track. Basic bike skills for everyday riding are also covered, including braking, weaving, cornering, balancing plus much more.
Sessions are conducted by a qualified, accredited and experienced BMX coach. Participants are requested to bring their own bikes and helmets, however participants without bikes and helmets are encouraged to come along and use some of the bikes and helmets available.
For more information contact Dave on 0411 638 502 or email@example.com
, or visit their Facebook page www.facebook.com/Toowoomba.BMX.Club
2016 Run Ride Race for Research
The Run Ride Race for Research on 23 July will be the first and largest multi-sport event to be held in the Toowoomba region with the event aiming to raise over $50,000 for the It’s A Bloke Thing Prostate Foundation (IABT).
The event will add valuable dollars to the groups fundraising efforts but will also encourage men to talk about their health with other men, partners and families.
ENTER BEFORE THE 15 JULY TO WIN - Get your entry in by 15 July and go into the draw to win return flights from Brisbane West Wellcamp Airport to Melbourne.
Click here to enter or find out more about the Run Ride Race for Research event
Recipe of the Month - Baked Rice & Zucchini
Cooking time 1 hour (preparation 10 minutes)
- 3/4 cup brown rice
- 1 tablespoon sunflower oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 500g green zucchini, scrubbed but not peeled, thinly sliced
- 500g yellow zucchini, scrubbed but not peeled, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons fresh oregano leaves, coarsely chopped
- Cracked black pepper, to season
- 1 punnet cherry tomatoes, halved
- 90g reduced fat ricotta
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan
- Canola or olive oil spray
1. Preheat oven to 200°C (180°C fan-forced).
2. Cook the rice in unsalted boiling water until al dente, about 35 minutes. Drain and set aside in a bowl.
3. Combine the oil and onions in a large non-stick frying pan a5nd cook over moderate heat until soft, about 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Add garlic and stir for a further 1 minute.
4. Add zucchini and cook for 5 minutes, until crisp and tender, then stir in the oregano and season with black pepper. Add zucchini mixture to the rice, together with the cherry tomatoes and ricotta and mix well. Check seasoning.
5. Spread evenly in an ovenproof dish sprayed with olive or canola oil cooking spray, then scatter with parmesan. Cover with foil and bake for 20 minutes. Remove foil and cook for a further 10 minutes or until top is golden and filling is bubbling.
Recipe courtesy of Heart Foundation. For more healthy recipes from The Heart Foundation click here
To find out more about any CHANGE Project activities contact Council on 131 872 or www.tr.qld.gov.au/change
or email firstname.lastname@example.org