We wanted to provide you with another update regarding the ongoing work of ACPA leaders. Following our July Leadership Meeting and a planning retreat in in mid-November, we identified three primary strategies that inspire and focus ACPA’s work to boldly move forward as a profession and an Association. These three strategies are to:
Currently, ACPA’s Mission states:
- Update and Clarify our Mission, Vision, and Values
- Set a Bold Strategic Imperative for Racial Justice
- Improve the Governance Structure of ACPA
ACPA supports and fosters student learning through the generation and dissemination of knowledge, which informs policies, practices and programs for student affairs professionals and the higher education community.
To review the current Mission, Vision, and Values click here.
Examination of the mission, vision, and values began by looking at the ACPA Charter, our Association’s history, who we serve, and what we do. We aspire to develop a mission statement that more effectively describes our identity as an Association. We believe that our mission should be explicit in our work as leaders and advocates, place scholarship and practice at the forefront, be action-oriented, and be inclusive of our commitment to social justice in a global environment. Through our discussions, we developed the following draft mission statement, which we submit to you, our members, for feedback, comments, and further development.
The Governing Board, Assembly, and International Office recommend updating ACPA’s mission to state:
ACPA catalyzes leading scholarship, practice, and advocacy on student learning and development in higher education to create a global community committed to social justice.
As we envision this new mission and the core values that guide us, we are inspired by the idea that ACPA will set a bold strategic imperative for racial justice. And as we set our course for this direction, it is critical that your voice is part of the process.
We ask that you think about the following questions:
To provide feedback:
- What are your initial reactions?
- What do you like?
- What would you like more of?
- What are your concerns?
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Fill out this jotform.
- Tweet using #ACPAMission
- Join us at an ACPA Collective Imagining Session during Convention in Columbus. During these sessions, we will imagine the future of ACPA and share ideas for centering racial justice in our work as educators.
- Sunday, 26 March from 12:00 – 1:00pm in Columbus Convention Center B246
- Monday, 27 March from 9:30 – 10:30am in Columbus Convention Center B246
- Tuesday, 28 March from 10:00 – 11:00am in Columbus Convention Center B246
- Join us at the Town Hall Meeting during Convention in Columbus. The Town Hall meeting takes place from 3:30 – 5:00pm on Monday, 27 March in the Columbus Hilton George Bellows Ballroom.
We welcome your feedback in the coming months as we embark on an exciting future for higher education and ACPA.
Donna A. Lee