(scroll down for cool photos)
Dear Prayer Warriors,
It has been 1 week since we began our prayer and fasting against the spiritual warfare, or as Shon calls it "spirit fighting", that we have been experiencing...and Father God has shown us so much love, grace and mercy that we definitely feel His presence, His victory and His comfort through all of this.
We are overjoyed by the response as we have people from all over the world joining us for prayer and fasting. We have people in Kenya, Nepal, the US and several on the World Race (wherever they are) and as we have been communicating we have realized that the spiritual warfare is not just with us. It is everywhere. So please know that as we gather here in Nepal for our prayer times we are praying for and with you corporately and individually.
update on our prayer requests
Ok. So that is our update. Sorry if I got a little long.
- alcoholism is still effecting relationships in Joel's immediate family. Right now there is a lot of pride, denial and projection that needs to be removed in order for healing to take place.
- Tara and our family are healing physically and emotionally. We realized the baby's heart had stopped while we where in the US. This brings a little comfort as we always fear, living in a developing country, that more could have been done medically but that is not the case.
- after the accident we heard the motorcycle driver that died had been drinking with some friends and they tried unsuccessfully to stop him. At the scene of the accident as he lay there motionless, Parasu and I had the privilege and honor of praying for him. We continue to pray and fast for his salvation..that in his final moments he heard the name of Jesus!
- We had a very successful youth conference in Tansen with about 30 youth attending. We shared the gospel with them and reminded them they are Created, they are Blessed and they have a Purpose. We also shared testimonies about drug and alcohol addiction and had them pray for the family of the motorcycle driver.
- after the youth conference we met with local pastors and leaders that are wanting to set up an alcohol and drug addiction recovery center in Tansen. We had about 40 attend and the feedback we have gotten has been very positive and will schedule another meeting for the spring/summer.
- after Tansen we safely traveled to Pokhara and had several meetings with leaders that are wanting to open addiction treatment centers there also. We also got to share about Jesus and our testimonies with the Airbnb host as she has an ex-husband struggling with alcohol.
- Yesterday, we attended an English speaking church service for the first time. One I found on Google. As we where traveling to the church I was praying to God to just bring me some encouragement. Show me a sign. I didn't even want to go to church yesterday. could have stayed in bed and rested...even Caroline woke up with an uneasy tummy and I felt like that would be a good excuse. But nevertheless I found myself on the way to church... I have a headache, I'm hungry, hadn't had any coffee in a week cause I'm fasting...so I'm asking God for a sign, for some encouragement today. We arrive early and we sit in the back so Christopher can have some space to run around. We were greeted at the gate and greeted at the door but nothing special. Then a lady comes and sits next to us in the back and says ''are you Joel and Tara?" I said yes. She says "well we've been praying for you. I know Parasu and attend his church and we have been praying for you for several months now. And I know you're looking for an apartment and I think we found one! There's a couple moving back to the US in Nov to have a baby and they need some one to look after their apartment while they are gone. I'll connect you guys." wow God! YOU ARE RIGHT ON TIME! Then the church service just blew me and Tara away as it was on Psalms 42 and 43 and the lady speaking just prayed over all of us and we read through the Psalms and God is just amazing. She closed by reading and praying Psalm 20 over us.
- continue to pray for our visa. We have talked to so many that have had issues with visas and getting visas. The visa situation seems to be a real challenge. The current government of Nepal is pretty clear that they do not want Christians here and want to declare Nepal a Hindu nation. Ironically, after church yesterday Tara and I went to a small cafe and I started talking to a guy there. He is from South Africa and will be starting a coffee plantation. Anyway, he said he was the last guy to get the approved business visa...nothing has been approved after him. He lives 2 days drive from Kathmandu and just happened to be in town. HA!
We continue to pray and to fast. The Daniel Fast is still difficult but a little easier as we are in Nepal and the local dish is full of fresh fruit and vegetables. Although I did have a craving for ice cream last night and ended up chowing down on about 5 bananas...in Jesus name.
I want to end this update with the Psalm that was prayed over us at the end of the Church service on Sunday. It is the same Psalm that I prayed over Caroline when we dedicated her to the Lord and I hadn't really heard it again until yesterday. So be blessed. It is our prayer to you.
The Assurance of God’s Saving Work
A Psalm of David. (Psalm 20)
May the Lord answer you in the day of trouble;
May the name of the God of Jacob defend you;
May He send you help from the sanctuary,
And strengthen you out of Zion;
May He remember all your offerings,
And accept your burnt sacrifice.
May He grant you according to your heart’s desire,
And fulfill all your purpose.
We will rejoice in your salvation,
And in the name of our God we will set up our banners!
May the Lord fulfill all your petitions.
Now I know that the Lord saves His anointed;
He will answer him from His holy heaven
With the saving strength of His right hand.
Some trust in chariots, and some in horses;
But we will remember the name of the Lord our God.
They have bowed down and fallen;
But we have risen and stand upright.
May the King answer us when we call.
Jai Masih! Victory to the Messiah!
Joel, Tara, Parasu and Shon
Jesus Is A Journey!