Programmes for all the summer festivals are now out: Film Festival (next week!) and International, Fringe and Book Festivals (August). I have tried to list all events from or about Russia and her neighbours on www.scotlandrussiaforum.org/festivals2014.html. Please let me know about anything I've missed out! Too many highlights to list here - you'll just have to look at the webpage.
Russian language classes in Kinross
Classes run from mid-September in ten week blocks. Tues and Thurs 7-9 at Kinross Learning Centre, Swansacre, Kinross, KY13 8TE . Learners of any level welcome. Email Mhairi Young or phone her on 01337 828338 or 07794 707774 for a chat to discuss your needs.
Other Russian classes in Scotland
If you are running a publicly available Russian class of any sort (adult FE, children's class/club, private tuition etc) please let us know and we will include details on www.scotlandrussiaforum.org/languageclasses.html. Details of SRF classes in September will be online there too - but don't hesitate to contact us in the meantime if you need advice.
Business news from Albion Overseas
SRF member Albion Overseas is opening an office in Scotland! They write: “In light of increasing interest in Russia, Albion is delighted to announce that it has opened an office in Scotland to service this demand. Our client’s tell us the advantages of working with Albion are simple: we provide a low cost solution to exporting to Russia, as well as practical advice and assistance on GOST-R certification, understanding how to do business with Russia and most importantly, swift results in terms of finding customers and getting your goods in to Russia.
To arrange a meeting or have a chat, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call Lorraine Montgomery in our Alloa office on 01259 272026”.
Albion's next Making Russia Easy Workshop will be in London on 10 July. Details.
A new neighbour for the SRF at Summerhall is TRAFIKA EUROPE - a very interesting venture promoting new literature from all over Europe (including Russia) in English translation. They plan an online journal and Europe's (the world's?) first literary radio station.
Launch events at Summerhall in August. Campaign video and appeal on igg.me/at/trafika-europe-launch. More information: Andrew Singer email@example.com, tel. +44 783 66 77 6 33, www.trafikaeurope.org
Congratulations to winners of the annual Russian Essay Competition
This is the 7th of these excellent annual competitions - for schoolchildren and adults, learners and "heritage" pupils. Very interesting and varied topics this year! Full details on http://www.resources4russian.co.uk/essay.
Sadly there were no Scottish winners in the schools section - did the supplementary schools not enter this year? - but a fair number in the "Universities and Adult Category", so congratulations to them:
Level 1 (Facebook profile of a famous Russian sportsman...). 2nd Emily Cook (University of St Andrews)
Level 3 (Hitchhiking from Moscow to Vladivostok)
2nd Vitalija Lavreckyte (University of St Andrews), Heidi Gordon (Russian Language School Raduga, Edinburgh)
3rd Emma Gloag (Russian Language School Raduga, Edinburgh)
Special prize Alex Robertson (Russian Language School Raduga, Edinburgh)
Level 4 (Interview with a Russian poet)
Special prize James Carter (University of St Andrews)
Jobs and internships in London
1) Internship opportunity at Russian Art and Culture. Russian Art and Culture are currently accepting applications for an internship with us for the summer period. We are looking for motivated and resourceful students or recent graduates looking to gain experience in the world of art and online publishing. Deadline 20th June.
2) Part-time post at BEARR. The BEARR Trust is seeking a new Information and Administration Officer. The post is part-time, and the office is in Central London. Details are available on the BEARR website at http://www.bearr.org/job-vacancy-part-time-london/. The deadline for applications is 1 July. BEARR June newsletter here.
3) Businessman's PA. Russian speaking PA for Russian businessman in London. Start asap. This is a full-time permanent/long term position. A good opportunity for Russian speakers / recent graduates? Contact Archie Kelly firstname.lastname@example.org.
4) Advertising. An advertising/branding company in London is looking for a Russian speaker for a junior part-time role (15 hours a week) based in the London office. The work is in the insight and innovation field with international brands (Kimberley Clark and Samsung) wanting to work more closely with their Russian consumers. It might suit a bright Russian undergraduate/postgraduate looking for some work alongside their studies. Contact Simon Bucknall Simon.Bucknall@talk21.com
1) Ecologia. Scottish charity working with disadvantaged children in Russia. Download their Summer Bulletin here.
2) DniproKids. Scottish charity helping orphan children in Dnipropetrovsk. Latest news:June 2014
Our last bulletin gave news that Gerry West is updating his model of the Battle of Borodino - but unfortunately with the wrong website address. You can follow his progress on http://www.borodino-to-waterloo.co.uk/ - or on Twitter @1812toWaterloo.